Canon 5d MKII or Nikon D700

phototrek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am thinking about getting one of these full frame cameras. I have been using the Canon 1V for the past 6 years. I have the following in Canon glass: 70-200 F/2.8, 24-70 F/2.8, 100-400 F/5.6, 20 F/2.8. I have been very satidfied with Canon. I waited to see how the new 5D MKII will be and at first it seems like I will continue with Canon. Then I heard that the 5D isn't as weather resistence as the 1V. It does not seem as well built as the 1V and is smaller than the 1V. I don't care about the video portion. I shoot only landsscape photos, mainly out west. So now I am thinking about the Nikon D700 but I have to invest a lot more money because I need to buy Nikon glass. I heard the D700 is better built than the 5D. Is more weather resistence. Has anybody been in the same position as I am and what did they decide to do and why? No Canon vs Nikon wars please.

The 5D MKII is weather resistant, but definitely not weather proof or weather sealed.

I've shot outside in the rain while photographing a house fire. I know other people that have shot in adverse conditions as well. I think to spec is 10mm of rain in 3 minutes.

Either way, I'd still want a cover or something for either camera.

Depending on what you want to do with your photos the high resolution of the 5D might fit you better. The D700 IQ and 5D MKII IQ are going to be pretty similar. High ISO performance with the D700 is supposed to be a little better, but if you want to kill noise, you can down size your photos and do some processing to take care of it.

I shot a concert at 6400 ISO with my 5DII and the shots were totally usable.

Since you already have your money invested in Canon glass, I would go with the 5dM2. The D700 is more rugged and probably has better ISO performance, but not by much. Both are great cameras.

I agree. There is not enough difference to warrant a system change. You almost always loose out financially when you change systems.

I think that overall, the D700 is a better camera...especially as it can also be a good 'action' camera with it's great AF and fast shooting rate.
However, if you want or need the extra MP for large printing...the 5D II has a big advantage.

I agree with the others, not enough difference to justify switching lens systems. Go for the Canon.

I think that overall, the D700 is a better camera...especially as it can also be a good 'action' camera with it's great AF and fast shooting rate.
However, if you want or need the extra MP for large printing...the 5D II has a big advantage.

I agree with the others, not enough difference to justify switching lens systems. Go for the Canon.
That's the one thing that bothers me the most about the 5DMk2... why, oh why, didn't Canon update the AF system? I mean, it works great... but would it have been all that difficult for them to up the ante a bit and put at least a solid 13 point system vs. the old 9 point in there? I would have gladly traded video for a watered down 1D AF system.

Rumor has it the next generation Canon 60D/7D will have a 13 point system. Argh. :)

Maybe Canon is still worried about cannibalizing sales of their 1 series bodies. :scratch:

Maybe Canon is still worried about cannibalizing sales of their 1 series bodies. :scratch:

I think it was probably that, along with the fact that they did not expect Nikon to make the jump that they did in the middle class bodies. Also I wonder if its because Canon thought they were too far off a new 1 series body to and didn't want people to consider the 5DM2 instead of the possible new 1 series body

That seems to be the consensus elsewhere on the 'net...

Rumor has it that the D700 has taken a bite out of the D3 sales and Canon is scared of doing the same.

It's all speculation... but have you seen the Canon Rumors as of late?

January 29th At CR it's suggested that the '60D' may be branded as the '7D'

• 15.1mp
  • DIGIC V
  • New 13 Point AF
  • 1080p Movie Mode
  • 8fps
  • 3in VGA LCD
  • 98% VF
  • New Battery
  • Weathersealing
  • Ergonomic Upgrades
  • 1x Compact Flash and 1x Secure Digital Slots
Source: Canon EOS 60D DSLR - what replaces the 50D

I know... rumors. But if Canon did that it would bite into the 5DMk2 market share. I suspect many people would trade FF for 13 point AF, 8 FPS, dual memory cards, weather sealing, 98% view finder... it would be a 1.6 version of a 1D. :)

I just wish the 5DMk2 had some of those features.

but the thing is it would not bite too much out of it - the 60D would be grabbed up by the sports, wildlide togs and the 5DM2 would still be kept by the studio and landscape togs (and probably the media ones as well) so whilst its sales would drop a bit, it would still retain its market position.
Now if that 60D were full frame it would be a whole other matter

I read an interesting tidbit on The Luminous Landscape...about how Michael thinks that the Super DSLRs are nearing the end of their life cycle. The Nikon D3X maybe be the 'best' DSLR (in the 35mm format) but with the 'mid level' cameras getting so good...nobody will want to spend $8000 for a slightly better camera.

Nikon has been doing great since they did some corporate house cleaning...and Canon still hasn't stepped up. Hopefully they will soon.

At the moment (At least for Nikon) that appears to be very true - with the massive prices on their upper end camera announced and the compartivly cheaper D700 with almost the same features it could be that they are pushing for the middle level to be the main selling point and price rather than aiming for a 3 tier system they are aiming for a 2 tier consumer level with the upper level being reserved for the highly dedicated amateur and the pro.
This will (I think) work and its already losing canon sales - so they will either have to slash their 1 series prices or join the nikon concept

At the moment (At least for Nikon) that appears to be very true - with the massive prices on their upper end camera announced and the compartivly cheaper D700 with almost the same features it could be that they are pushing for the middle level to be the main selling point and price rather than aiming for a 3 tier system they are aiming for a 2 tier consumer level with the upper level being reserved for the highly dedicated amateur and the pro.
This will (I think) work and its already losing canon sales - so they will either have to slash their 1 series prices or join the nikon concept

Canon has had the 1D pro bodies and the others for a while. I think the pricing structure is still there because the original cost of r&d and the price of the sensor.

They could put the 1Ds III tech into the 5D II and I'm pretty sure that it would raise the cost of the body by nearly three fold.

But if Canon drops a bomb and releases a 39mp 1Ds MKIV I'm pretty sure that they're not going to be selling it for $4000.

Most reactions

Back