TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanygilbert.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am going to be purchasing a 5d Monday. I have a couple of questions -

1. How long does a single battery usually last for you? How many do you carry?

2. What brand of compact flash do you find to be the most reliable?

3. Any issues or tips for this camera?

Thanks,

b

I'm still using my 10D but have plans of upgrading to the 5D this year. I'm not sure if it's battery life is similar to the 10D but I'm going to assume so since they take the same battery. Generally for a wedding, I'll use 2 batteries but like to keep a couple extra around just in case. I tend to over pack a bit. Just making sure that I'll still get the job done in the event that something breaks or fails. I have a Lexar Extreme 2gig and a regular 1gig card that I use. I haven't had any trouble with either and haven't noticed much difference in write speeds either. I've heard really good things about the 5D. Both in print and from a friend at the local camera shop. It's supposed to be MUCH improved over the 10D in the dynamic range department. I'll be looking forward to hearing your feedback on the camera.

Note - I did upgrade to the 580EX flash recently (from the 420EX). WELL worth the investment. :mrgreen:

i don't have a 5d, and I don't really shoot weddings, but i'll try to help out :D

just make sure that you try it out and get used to it before you shoot a wedding. nothing is worse than needing to do something with your cam on the spot and not knowing where to start.

for compact flash cards, most brands are pretty reliable. the cheaper brands (kingston, ridata) are surprisingly good, and work very well for someone on a budget. if you would like something from a 'bigger' brand (which isn't necessary IMO...many pros use kingston and they work very well...mine works perfectly), I'd check out sandisk's Ultra II or Extreme III cards. both will be plenty fast for the 5d.

The other brands of CFs are just as reliable as the Lexar and Sandisks. Unless you want some extra speed, then it makes sense to get third party memory.

photogoddess said:
I'm not sure if it's battery life is similar to the 10D but I'm going to assume so since they take the same battery.

Well... I haven't had my 5D long enough to answer intelligently. The battery that was packed with my 5D is mostly the same as the one in my 10D. Both batteries work in either camera, but Canon tells me the newer one will last a bit longer per charge.

You're gonna LOVE your new camera.

Pete

Christie Photo said:
Both batteries work in either camera,
Consider this for just $11.99. I'm a happy user of several of these.

I'll also put in my recommendation for Sterlingtek.com :thumbsup:

Big Mike said:
I'll also put in my recommendation for Sterlingtek.com :thumbsup:
It was from you that I got the tip first! :)

bethany138 said:
2. What brand of compact flash do you find to be the most reliable?

Sandisk will give you the best performance, If you don't shoot in harsh weather conditions don't bother getting the extreme III. It's performance is Identical to the Ultra II.

Most reactions

Back