External flashYes (Hot shoe)
Continuous driveYes (4.5 fps)
Self-timerYes (2 or 10 sec)
Metering modes
  • Multi
  • Center-weighted
  • Spot
  • Partial
Exposure compensation±5 EV (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
AE Bracketing±3 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
WB BracketingYes (3 frames in either blue/amber or magenta/green axis)
Videography features
Format
  • H.264
MicrophoneMono
SpeakerMono
Resolutions1920 x 1080 (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps fps), 1280 x 720 (59.94, 50 fps), 640 x 480 (25, 30 fps)
Videography notes1080 and 720 intra or inter frame, 480 inter frame
Storage
Storage typesSD/SDHC/SDXC
Connectivity
USBUSB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)
HDMIYes (HDMI Mini)
WirelessBuiltIn
Remote controlYes (Remote control with N3 type contact, Wireless Controller LC-5, Remote Controller RC-6)
Physical
Environmentally sealedYes (Splash and dust resistant)
BatteryBattery Pack
Battery descriptionLithium-Ion LP-E6 rechargeable battery & charger
Weight (inc. batteries)770 g (1.70 lb / 27.16 oz)
Dimensions145 x 111 x 71 mm (5.71 x 4.37 x 2.8″)
Other features
Orientation sensorYes
Timelapse recordingYes (by cable and PC)
GPSBuiltIn
GPS notesImage tagging and tracking modes

Sauce:
Canon EOS 6D Official Specs « Canon Rumors

I read on dPreview that Adorama had the 6D for pre-order for $2,099 for a short while earlier today. RUMOR is that X-synch speed will be 1/180 second. A lot of people are worried about the 11-AF area focusing system, but it might actually be quite good. I read a comment that the AF is supposed to be "strong in low light", and hey...it might be. Nikon had multiple 11-area cameras,and they did okay...I know, they were DX, but still...

Adorama jumped the gun, and has since pulled the pre-order page. Here's a link showing the page. http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/adorama-jumps-the-gun-offers-eos-6d-preorder/

The canon EOS 6D there is a video on canon Europe on YouTube and photonewsreview has just done a comparison of the EOS 7D and the EOS 6D at photokina on YouTube which you can see.

I think that the autofocus is pretty disappointing compared to the D600. It should have at least used the 7D's system.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

for that rumored price, this is pretty super meh to me. I couldn't care less about built in GPS, especially on a full frame camera. This seems like the 'just because non-serious hobbyists will like to see that it's there' feature, as does the touch screen. I think some cameras go crazy with number of autofocus points, but 11 seems a bit outdated to cover a full frame. the rumored 1/180 max sync speed hurts. 4.5 fps makes it a near no-go for sports. A lot happens in a quarter second in sports, and I doubt I'd ever use the burst mode if 4.5 is as fast as it'd go, and I'd probably be forced to just try to time everything by eye on single shot.

Perhaps it will be a world beater in focus speed, even with just the 11 points. Perhaps it will be pro level in low light performance.

But for 2K, color me unimpressed, given what we know about it now. When we get a lot more reviews out there, perhaps that changes.

I guess I've been hoping for either a decent priced full frame pro style body, which both the D600 and 6D seem to have fallen short on feature wise, or a truly budget sub pro level full frame, which they've both been expensive for. I guess those hopes are still a few years away. Though perhaps the sad thing is that if this thing didn't have GPS and a touchscreen it could perhaps be approaching the price point where I'd consider it. I'd guess those two features probably add $500 to the consumer's price. For $1599 i'd be WAY more interested in this body. But, Canon is probably hoping that those two features are the 'D600 slayer' features.

If 6D is given the same AF system as 7D, most people will prefer to buy 6D instead of 5D3 for $1400 less. I'm pretty certain 6D will have less profit margin over 5D3 to begin with. They will not want 6D eating into 5D3's market. The way I see it, in equivalent terms to crop factor, 6D is like 60D and 5D3 is like 7D. If 60D had similar AF to 7D, no one would want to pay the premium.

EDIT: I am at least happy that 6D is getting 1/8000 rather than the rumored 1/4000. And I'm pretty certain 11 point AF will be all cross type with higher sensitivity middle focus point. 6D is a good replacement for 5D2 at the same price range today and for those eyeing 5D2 price drop like me a great news indeed.

Last edited:
This is still too expensive for most hobbyists. I miss a full frame digital camera with no fancy stuff like wifi and gps or really fancy menus with lots of crap that cost money to make. I'd like a camera with a 36x24 sensor, and basic adjustments only. Exposure and good ISO capabilities, that's all I need.

This is still too expensive for most hobbyists. I miss a full frame digital camera with no fancy stuff like wifi and gps or really fancy menus with lots of crap that cost money to make. I'd like a camera with a 36x24 sensor, and basic adjustments only. Exposure and good ISO capabilities, that's all I need.

+1

The current APS-C sensors are good enough that my desire for a larger sensor is much less than it was in the past. I'm certainly not going to pay over $2K for one.

fjrabon said:
for that rumored price, this is pretty super meh to me. I couldn't care less about built in GPS, especially on a full frame camera. This seems like the 'just because non-serious hobbyists will like to see that it's there' feature, as does the touch screen. I think some cameras go crazy with number of autofocus points, but 11 seems a bit outdated to cover a full frame. the rumored 1/180 max sync speed hurts. 4.5 fps makes it a near no-go for sports. A lot happens in a quarter second in sports, and I doubt I'd ever use the burst mode if 4.5 is as fast as it'd go, and I'd probably be forced to just try to time everything by eye on single shot.

Perhaps it will be a world beater in focus speed, even with just the 11 points. Perhaps it will be pro level in low light performance.

But for 2K, color me unimpressed, given what we know about it now. When we get a lot more reviews out there, perhaps that changes.

I guess I've been hoping for either a decent priced full frame pro style body, which both the D600 and 6D seem to have fallen short on feature wise, or a truly budget sub pro level full frame, which they've both been expensive for. I guess those hopes are still a few years away. Though perhaps the sad thing is that if this thing didn't have GPS and a touchscreen it could perhaps be approaching the price point where I'd consider it. I'd guess those two features probably add $500 to the consumer's price. For $1599 i'd be WAY more interested in this body. But, Canon is probably hoping that those two features are the 'D600 slayer' features.

Funny you should mention hobbyist because that is exactly who they are going after with the 6D (and Nikon with the D600). Not pros. It's your expectations that were overly inflated. I am the enthusiast (read: i dont make my money from cameras) that Canon and Nikon are marketing this camera to. I like built in GPS, Wifi, and touchscreen controls (I'll be ordering an EOS-M soon).. Looks to me like they are making cameras specifically for my market segment and marketing to us with these cameras. Don't be butthurt because they aren't pro. They have the 5DmK3 and D800 as the affordable pro FF cameras.

I didn't see where the official press release from Canon outlined touchscreen controls? Also, to the poster before this one I am posting, the press release from Canon only stated one cross type AF sensor at the center, and nothing about the others. I hope you are right about them all being cross type because that would bring it back into the ball game.

+1

The current APS-C sensors are good enough that my desire for a larger sensor is much less than it was in the past. I'm certainly not going to pay over $2K for one.

And at this price point, for what you get, it makes little sense to me. I'm much more likely to just pony up for the D800, 5DIII, D4 or 1D at this point than one of these compromise full frames.

fjrabon said:

Funny you should mention hobbyist because that is exactly who they are going after with the 6D (and Nikon with the D600). Not pros. It's your expectations that were overly inflated. I am the enthusiast (read: i dont make my money from cameras) that Canon and Nikon are marketing this camera to. I like built in GPS, Wifi, and touchscreen controls (I'll be ordering an EOS-M soon).. Looks to me like they are making cameras specifically for my market segment and marketing to us with these cameras. Don't be butthurt because they aren't pro. They have the 5DmK3 and D800 as the affordable pro FF cameras.

I didn't see where the official press release from Canon outlined touchscreen controls? Also, to the poster before this one I am posting, the press release from Canon only stated one cross type AF sensor at the center, and nothing about the others. I hope you are right about them all being cross type because that would bring it back into the ball game.

Just read 6D preview on dpreview and I see your point is right about AF sensor being single cross type in the middle. That is truly a bummer. Why would anyone buy 6D over a used 5D2? I could careless about GPS and wifi. The only thing that would make any difference now is it's high ISO capability...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back