Canon 6D Official

The reviews that I have read, say that it has an external mike jack, but is missing the jack for the head phones.

Ohhhhhh
that's not so bad then - a pain for some situations, but eh not that bad.

I seem to be more positive on the 6D. It makes sense in a way. The 60D was the "what exactly is this supposed to be" camera. It was the T3i with a few more features. I see the 6D as what the 60D should have been, the ultimate hobby camera. Comparison to the 7D I don't think is useful as the two are just in completely seperate realms of the market. It sounds like many were expecting the 6D to be the 7 on steroids, but it really is more like the ultimate Canon Rebel. Like a T4i turned up to the max.

Except with a price tag of the 7D on steroids.

Chit costs money these days. This camera is going to be $2000 within a matter of weeks, I suspect. I went to the Canon, Japan site and downloaded some large-ish JPEG files, and watched two videos shot entirely on the 6D, with some fine Canon lenses: 100-L macro, 50/1.2-L, 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, 70-200 2.8 Mark II, and so on...the video looked great! The inside of the old abandoned mine video looked great! The shots of the cute Asian model in the flowing white skirt, photographed in near-darkness by the roaring waterfall, with the wind blowing her skirt, and a lantern held in her hand--looked AWESOME!!!! This camera has an all-new. 20.2 megapixel full-frame sensor...with BIG pixel wells! This camera appears to have very solid imaging capabilities, in both stills and video. For $2k. I know, it's two thousand dollars. But cripes...these days even a Sigma 2.8 zoom lens is approaching that same price level. This is a FF camera, built upon, basically, a 60D-sized chassis and frame...three years ago, people would have been going ape$hit over this camera, at this price, with THIS kind of image quality. Just sayin...

Yes, the Nikon D600 has higher specifications at the identical price. But that's a Nikon. it might as well be an Oldsmobile, or a Dell computer...it has zero bearing on a Canon camera shooter. Go to the Canon site. Look at some sample images, done at night. Download the portrait samples. Look at the star shots. Watch the video of the woman in the forest. Buy the danged camera.

If you don't see very noticeable noise from the 7D at ISO 6400, you're not looking very hard. Sure, it's not bad, but it's far from 'minimal or trace noise'.

So by saying "you're not looking very hard" would imply that one would need to look "hard" to notice it. Having to look hard to notice something would classify it as not very "noticeable" in my book. Thanks for solidifying my statement for me. ;-)

Is it better than the full frames out there, of course not. Does it do a damn good job at it, imo yes it does. Is it worth the upgrade? To me, no. All are opinions and should be taken as just that. Opinions.

I would label the noise at ISO 6400 on the 7D as 'barely usable if you absolutely have no way around shooting at that high of an ISO whatsoever' And I shoot at ISO 6400 just about every other day on the 7D. Sometimes you do what you have to do to avoid blurry images, but the 7D's high ISO performance is a far sight from any full frame made in the last three years I've ever used. Like not even remotely in the ballpark. Comparing it and, say, a 5D MkII is like literal night and day.

well yeah, I would not compare it to a 5dm2 or 3, that's silly. For what it is, it's great. Now, my initial thought on the 6D was that to me, the other features are pretty much meaningless, so the only advantage I see to the 6D is FF and better low light...even if its huge or small...doesn't matter...and to me those two things are not enough to warrant the upgrade. So i hope I didn't come off as trying to compare the 7D and a 5DM2, was simply stating that that one feature is not enough for me to drool over the 6D.

I am more interested to see what new 7D will be like. Please don't let it be old rebranded $#!+, oh pretty pleeease...

I am more interested to see what new 7D will be like. Please don't let it be old rebranded $#!+, oh pretty pleeease...

My guess would be same thing, more megapix, wireless flash ability, maybe touchscreen. All just a guess though. :)

*edit* well...and the digic 5 processor obviously.

Most upgrades never feel worth it to those who own the previous version. The 50D didn't feel that special over the 40D - the 1DMIV didn't feel that special over the 1DIII (from what I've heard) and the rebels never look that good model to model. There are a few exceptions, but they tend to come with a big price jump (like the 50D to 7D and the 5DMII to the 5DMIII).
A 7DII will either aim at the same/similar price bracket and be good, but not good enough to make 7D owners want to rush out and buy it; or it will look stunning to 7D owners, but come with a £500-1000 price increase over the settled 7D price (that is to say the MII price would still be significantly higher after the release price lowers in the market).

This is still too expensive for most hobbyists. I miss a full frame digital camera with no fancy stuff like wifi and gps or really fancy menus with lots of crap that cost money to make. I'd like a camera with a 36x24 sensor, and basic adjustments only. Exposure and good ISO capabilities, that's all I need.
^^^^What he said!!

Is the 6D SD card only? No CF? What is better for speed and larger space? I Know the 7D is CF card. I also know the 5d3 has dual slots. Cf and sd. Are we moving over to SD?

prodigy2k7 said:
Is the 6D SD card only? No CF? What is better for speed and larger space? I Know the 7D is CF card. I also know the 5d3 has dual slots. Cf and sd. Are we moving over to SD?

CF cards are faster and can hold more space, usually, than SD cards.

It looks good to me. Could possibly be my next upgrade. I could care less about wifi and gps. The auto focus seems fine for my needs though and the sensor sounds pretty decent. By the time I'm ready for it, it should be a lot cheaper.

If its sensor is as good as the 5DIII and the AF is as sensitive as it supposedly is, then I could consider it

Oh my lord, oh my lord. Another camera released without the EXACT specs I, as just a consumer, would want in a camera......

Seriously, to all the whiners and arm flailing folk. Why wold a company kill there sales of the flagship models by offering the same features in a consumer model?

If you want all the features, pay for the flagship and write it off in your taxes!

I'm with Compaq on this one though. I know it will never happen but I would also love a FF or larger digital body with these controls.

"M"
shutterpseed
Aperture
ISO
and built in radio triggers!

I know it will never happen though as I'm just a consumer.

It would be super cool if Canon or Nikon offered a "custom" option when ordering from them.

Neat to hear what everyone has been saying about the 6D in this thread! I got a chance to run over to our local camera shop on my lunch break, and had a brief hands-on with the 6D. The body is surprisingly light! Coming from holding my 7D every day, it's a noticeable difference. The auto-focus for the quick shots inside the store worked just as expected, it was too hard to tell any major results from the time I had with the camera. Surprisingly, one of my favorite things about the 6D is the new button configuration. It made access to features, settings, and playback incredibly easy. Not that I have any complaints with the old configuration, however this "new" configuration just felt right. I can easily see this camera in my entourage in the coming weeks (with the nicely discounted EF 24-105mm), depending on how fast they fly off the shelves...

Sorry if this has been posted already, but DigitalRev compares 6D to D600. Other than the number of cross-type AF points and FPS, I think 6D trumps D600 especially in low light conditions. DigitalRev site is such a Nikon fanboy. I can't believe Kai's conclusion at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back