TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi ,
I am looking to buy a full frame camera
Getting confused which one is best
Sony a7 or Canon 6d - both have the lens I want ,
Thanks

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I am sure there will be a ton of answers here, but 1st a ton of questions. You don't specify much in terms of your experience, current equipment (if any), likes/dislikes, what you tend to shoot, which lenses you'd like, etc.

The 1st thing I would suggest is to do some web searches, and you will find a ton of information.

2nd (or maybe even 1st) is head over to YouTube and look at reviews and use cases with these bodies. Also, review some videos of DSLR vs mirrorless systems.

3rd, stop by a store and pick each up. Pictures will not do it justice, but there is a very significant size/weight/feel difference between the 6D and A7 or A7ii. And depending on the lenses you want to use, that size/weight difference could be magnified (or nearly eliminated as some FF Sony lenses are just as large/heavy as Canon lenses).

Anyhow, I hope this at least gives you guidance on things to think about and resources to review.

I want full frame upgrade
6d - a7 fits my budget

I have 70d -700d canon
I need which is all rounder and best

Buddy has an A7 which I played with for a bit before choosing not to buy it.

The 6D is a really good and overall versatile camera.

The 6D would be a more natural move for you coming from the 70D. I won't comment on "all rounder and best" as there are distinct pros and cons of each. For example:

Sony mirrorless cameras can use virtually any lens w/correct adapter
The A7 is smaller/lighter (that may be a pro for some and a con for others)
A7 battery life is awful (literally 1/2 to 1/3 of what you get with the 6D)
Native Sony lenses are, compared to their Canon counterparts, generally more costly
Many consider the performance of the A7 sensor to be a step ahead of the 6D
You may already have lenses that will be directly usable on the 6D (you'd need an adapter to use on the A7)

Lastly, you indicate A7. I would encourage you to look at the A7ii instead. It is a few hundred dollars more, but has a couple of significant improvements and is much more likely to be supported with firmware longer than the A7. The most notable improvement is that it has in body image stabilization (IBIS).

I moved from a Nikon D7100 to the Sony A7ii about 4 months ago. Other than the battery life and getting accustomed to the menu system, I am thrilled.

I want full frame upgrade
6d - a7 fits my budget

I have 70d -700d canon
I need which is all rounder and best

You already have 2 Canons, why in the world would you want to start a new expensive system?

The logical choice would be the Canon, because you are already familiar with the system, and you probably have lenses that you can use on the 6D.

With that being said, I would get the A7. You obviously have an itch for something unfamiliar, and it will probably be there to stay until you scratch it. Best to rent the camera first?

different cameras !
and different size and costs - the refurbished 6D is less tha
Hi ,
I am looking to buy a full frame camera
Getting confused which one is best
Sony a7 or Canon 6d - both have the lens I want ,
Thanks

different cameras, different sizes and different costs
But if you're not shooting sports or action getting a mirrorless might make sense

Most reactions

Back