Canon 70-200 F 4.0 IS ?

kc4sox

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me preface this by saying I've been shooting a 70-200 f 2.8 IS V1 Canon for quite some time.

I've become somewhat of a wimp I guess as I just don't care for lugging the 2.8 around anymore. I don't do weddings or sports for that matter. I do shoot the grandsons basketball / baseball games just for the family though. I mostly do portraits semi professionally. While I loved the 2.8 it's just a beast of a lens to cart about. So, I found myself using it less and less. End result, I recently sold it and, I'm looking to replace it. I'm seriously considering the Canon 70-200 F 4.0 IS as a replacement. I know it gives up a stop of light and a little bokeh but, I'm shooting the 5d mk3 and my thoughts are that the low light / high ISO capabilities of the 5d will mostly compensate for the 1 stop loss of light the F4 will give up to a 2.8 . And, I shoot the 24-105 F4.0 L and am quite satisfied by the Bokeh it renders as an F 4.0 lens.

I am also considering the Tamron 70-200/2.8 Di VC USD. It's lighter and more compact by some accounts every bit as good as the Canon 2.8. I'm a Canon fan boy unfortunately so It's hard for me to consider anything other than a Canon lens. ( Personality flaw I guess )

Thoughts ????

I have the 70-200mm f/4L but not the IS. It is much lighter than my friends f/2.8. I shot my f/4 in low light on a 5D mk II and I really like that combination. So I wouldn't see any problems shooting a 5D mk III with the IS version.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back