Canon 70-200 f4.0 USM- Any comments on it?

I love my Sigma EX 100-300f4. I bought it for about $550 on ebay and it has done me well.

_MG_0906.jpg

_MG_0969.jpg

I completely agree with you! I figure, I'll buy this one and if I find I'm using it alot, I'll want an even faster lens- progression: the 2.8.

I'm not necessarily apposed to the Sigma or Tamron... I've just never used one or looked into them. All of my lenses are Canon. I'd probably be interested in the resale aspect of either of the brands. It's something that probably a few years down the road I'll replace for the 2.8- along with a full format body.

I didn't buy the 70-200F2.8 i bought the 200F2.8 and kept the 70-200F4

Cool thanks for the thread link... sometimes you just don't realize there's a previous thread on something... You know, like you don't notice any VW GTI's on the road till you buy one kind of thing?

oh it's cool. I didn't have the lens name in the thread anyway. I say buy the lens though. Definitely. It's an amazing lens. Definitely a good lens to get addicted to Ls with.

A friend of mine just got the EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM (along with a 5D Mk II) and really likes it a lot. It's so much lighter than the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (about 2 pounds lighter) and is very sharp. He said the pictures taken with this new lens has more color saturation and contrast compared to his non-L lenses. He's very happy with this purchase. He does eventually want to get the f/2.8 IS USM for indoor and low light shooting.

Having experience shooting fire/rescue scenes I think you will not be sastified with the f/4. You will be way to limited with your lighting. Most fires occur at night or in the early early mornings. The f2.8 is way better in most of the situations you will find yourself in. The Sigma f/2.8 is a very good quality lens, and will work great for you. You can get it for a comparable price.

Has anyone ever compared the the non-IS version with the Canon 70-300mm IS USM? Ken Rockwell is of the opinion that if you can't afford the 70-200mm L IS that you're better off with the non-L IS than the non-IS L, at least in this case. He argues that the IS will do more for you than the L optics will. Knowing Ken Rockwell though, I'm sure there are those who disagree with him almost as a matter of principle. I have heard from other sources though, that for a non-L lens that the 70-300mm IS USM is surprisingly good.

Most reactions

Back