Canon 70-200 f4

BNHPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive been reading a lot of reviews about this lens, I was hoping for the 2.8 for my anniversary/birthday/christmas present, but i'm really doubting its going to happen this year. I would like to try to get into sports photography mostly football, track, volleyball, and basketball and I need an all around good lens. Has anyone used this lens for low light situations? Should I just save money and write santa an early 2012 christmas list? I have a 'nifty fifty', kit lens, and a quantary (sp?) 70-300 f4 I think in my camera bag now. Also, my camera body is a canon xti I read in another forum that with a entry level dslr I would just end up with a lot of blurry images with this lens and the f2.8 is that true?

:( bump? I respect everyones opinion here a lot and would be very thankful for a comment to the blurry image question. It was only mentioned in one forum none of the reviews I read said anything about it. I have a pretty steady hand when holding the quantary, flash, and grip does anyone think they said this because it doesnt have image stabilization, and most noobs dont have steady hands?

If you are shooting sports you'll want a higher shutter speed so hand shake should be less of an issue with this lens. I have the 70-200 f4 and it is a great lens on a cropped body. I use it for all outside daytime sports. You'll want a faster lens for inside shooting as you cannot use a flash during sporting events (at least not where I shoot). I use a 50mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8.

You already have 70-200 covered at f/4; so you can use that to see if the Canon would do the job. If you are happy with the results (setting wise really) than the 70-200 in f/4 variant would be a great lens to get. If you can't get an acceptable ISO for a lot of the shots then start looking at something faster.

IS will become in part irrelevant as if its primarily for shooting sports you are likely to need a fairly high shutterspeed regardless so if the choice was between the f/4 IS and the f/2.8 I'd lean towards the 2.8 . You will need to consider the extra weight this introduces and how the balance for holding the camera with that lens changes.

Thank you all for the replys! I guess I just needed a little reassurance I wouldnt be wasting my money. Football games were going to be the primary sport I focused on and my high schools football field is lit fairly well, ill give my nifty fifty a try at f4 and see if I get any decent results before the season starts! I have a football playing fiancee that im sure would be more than happy to get out and throw the pig skin for me again haha!

I have the 70-200 f/4 version of the lens with IS, and I've been able to get sharp shots with ridiculously slow shutter speeds at 200mm (1/30 instead of the "rule" of 1/350 [1/200 x 1.6 crop factor]). So IS will help with hand-held shutter speeds. On the other hand, if you're shooting action, your subject will probably blur at 1/30 sec. There is a panning mode (mode 2) on that lens that is supposed to help with that, but since I don't shoot much action I don't have experience with it.

I do not have that lens but have done alot of research on it. I started with wanting the 2.8 but found I could get a f4 non IS for around $500 used for an exceptional lens. You'll need flash indoors. And consider there is a size and weight difference between the 2.8 and 4, the 2.8 is much larger and heavier.
I plan to use a mono pod to get my shutter speed lower.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens Review

I do not have that lens but have done alot of research on it. I started with wanting the 2.8 but found I could get a f4 non IS for around $500 used for an exceptional lens. You'll need flash indoors. And consider there is a size and weight difference between the 2.8 and 4, the 2.8 is much larger and heavier.
I plan to use a mono pod to get my shutter speed lower.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens Review

I won't go with the low light part of the question, the f/2.8 will always be better... but I owned a f/2.8 IS USM and sold it, replaced it with a used f/4 Non-IS! Yes, it's sharp and I'm happy and as others have pointed out, IS does nothing for fast motion or sports. The f/4 is so small, you don't need a monopod, it's light and above all, sharp. 25oz (1.56 lb) for the little one vs 52oz (3.25 lb) for the full version IS USM f/2.8

I shoot mostly outdoors, daylight, so f/4 and ISO 100 is just dandy. How far is it from f/4 to f/2.8 and what do you gain. Ask yourself if it's worth the money for the shutter speed gain?

Most reactions

Back