Canon 70-200mm F4

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been wanting to get a 70-200mm F2.8 since i got my camera and I just saw that on Amazon they are selling the Canon 70-200mm F4 non IS for $600. Is this worth it over getting the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 for like $725? Or should I wait and get the Sigma when I have the money?
Thanks

Hmm, interesting query. I would say go to a camera store and try out both lenses for yourself. Each one has its pros and cons. For instance, I am guessing that the Sigma will be slightly soft wide-open (but not THAT soft, not as much as cheaper lenses), and the Sigma is a little expensive. However, with the Siggy you gain a massive stop in light, equal to doubling the ISO, and you can achieve a really good bokeh. I think the Sigma doubles up as a pretty good close-up lens as well.
On the other hand, the Canon f/4 loses that one stop compared to the Sigma, which can, sometimes, make the difference between getting a shot and not getting it. Likewise, you can't get quite as close with the Canon as you can with the Sigma. However, the Canon is a little cheaper and (according to users) is ULTRA sharp, even at f/4.

Long story short, I'm afraid it is up to you. I, personally, would get the Sigma. But then that's just me.

Ok, thanks, ya I would definatley like having the extra F stops, but I would also like canon's renouned sharpness, so it's a tradeoff either way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back