Canon 70-300IS or Canon 70-200 f/4L

I'm not sure either would be the best choice for you at the moment.
i'd be inclined to suggest something along the lines of a 24-70 or some other lens that covers that sort of focal length. If you buy a lens like you're suggesting you'll have a "hole" in your focal lengths. A "hole" isn't a bad thing but your gap would be right where most portraits, people, and general photography are shot.
Of course, it depends what you shoot and since you don't say it's hard to say what's best.
I used to fall into the trap of a longer lens means better shots but that doesn't always hold true...most of the time it's false actually because a longer lens exaggerates camera shake and poor technique.
My longest lens is "only" 200mm and I've got a full frame sensor so it really is 200mm!! And I'm not incliuned to get a longer lens.

The answer really depends on what you shoot. General day to day stuff like landscapes, abstracts etc then i'd recommend a 24-70 or similar. If you do sports, nature, birds etc then definitely the 70-200. And I'd opt for the f4 version, not the IS version.

And as some will know, I am in a similar decision dilemma 70-200mm f2.8 L IS or the 100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS ... cannot decide :( would love the longer lens ... but would also love to have the superior image quality of the 70-200 .. plus 2.8 is a real advantage :(

The 70-300 IS, is a consumer or mid range lens...pretty good, but not top of the line. It does have IS, which is a nice bonus. For a beginner, it's probably a great lens.

The 70-200 F4 L...is a professional grade lens. The image quality is very good and the build quality is very solid.

darich said:
I'm not sure either would be the best choice for you at the moment.
i'd be inclined to suggest something along the lines of a 24-70 or some other lens that covers that sort of focal length. If you buy a lens like you're suggesting you'll have a "hole" in your focal lengths. A "hole" isn't a bad thing but your gap would be right where most portraits, people, and general photography are shot.
Of course, it depends what you shoot and since you don't say it's hard to say what's best.
I used to fall into the trap of a longer lens means better shots but that doesn't always hold true...most of the time it's false actually because a longer lens exaggerates camera shake and poor technique.
My longest lens is "only" 200mm and I've got a full frame sensor so it really is 200mm!! And I'm not incliuned to get a longer lens.

The answer really depends on what you shoot. General day to day stuff like landscapes, abstracts etc then i'd recommend a 24-70 or similar. If you do sports, nature, birds etc then definitely the 70-200. And I'd opt for the f4 version, not the IS version.

hmmm. Thanks for that advice. I didn't think teh 35-50 and 50-70 holes were that important to fill on an APS sensor. Well than I guess I should ask if getting teh cheap EF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 III or IV USM woould be a good purchase also. Those run under $100 used.

Basically I thought I wanted either a long lens for wildlife photography or a very very short lens(in the 10mm range) for landscapes and cloud pictures.

I didn't think teh 35-50 and 50-70 holes were that important to fill on an APS sensor
If you don't think they are important...they they aren't. It's completely up to you and your style of shooting. Personally, I don't think it's that important to fill those gaps.

If you are talking about a better quality lens for those focal lengths...then that's a different question.

A long lens is nice for wildlife etc...but as mentioned..."longer lens exaggerates camera shake and poor technique."

Big Mike said:
If you don't think they are important...they they aren't. It's completely up to you and your style of shooting. Personally, I don't think it's that important to fill those gaps.

If you are talking about a better quality lens for those focal lengths...then that's a different question.

A long lens is nice for wildlife etc...but as mentioned..."longer lens exaggerates camera shake and poor technique."

thanks for the help Mike!

like i said...it all boils down to what you shoot.
If you shoot wide angles and wildlife then you're right - the hole in the focal range isn't a big deal.

But for general shooting an portraits i think you might find you're either too close or too far away if you leave that hole in your range.

if you're going to get one I'd still go for the f4 L version over the IS version.

drkuba said:
I'm starting to think I shouldn't have bought the 20-35mm lens and just went with the 17-85 IS lens.... darnit, I wonder how easily I can sell it back.

if you are really sure you want to sell it ... at least in Europe Ebay is great for sellers of Canon lenses ... even better if there is still warranty in the lens.

I recently sold a canon lens for just 5% below the price you pay when you buy a new one! And my lens was almost 4 years old ...

drkuba said:
I'm starting to think I shouldn't have bought the 20-35mm lens and just went with the 17-85 IS lens.... darnit, I wonder how easily I can sell it back.

I bought a Canon 10-22EF-S lens a couple of years ago for £400 from a Hong Kong Ebayer (approx £180 cheaper than in the UK).
When i upgraded my camera i sold the lens since it wouldn't fit the 5D and someone paid me £390 for it.
Camera lenses always sell easily if they're in good working order. You might be surprised by what you get for it!
If it fitted my camera i might be interested!

Alex_B said:
if you are really sure you want to sell it ... at least in Europe Ebay is great for sellers of Canon lenses ... even better if there is still warranty in the lens.

I recently sold a canon lens for just 5% below the price you pay when you buy a new one! And my lens was almost 4 years old ...

wow. yea, the funny thing is that I just looked on ebay and the 20-35 is selling for almost $100 more used than I bought it for. But if it that easy to sell than I might just keep it around a little longer and take more pictures with it.

drkuba said:
wow. yea, the funny thing is that I just looked on ebay and the 20-35 is selling for almost $100 more used than I bought it for. But if it that easy to sell than I might just keep it around a little longer and take more pictures with it.

selling canon equipment is really that easy on EBay ...
... Sigma or other third party lenses do not sell that well (unfortunately for me i none case )

Alex_B said:
And as some will know, I am in a similar decision dilemma 70-200mm f2.8 L IS or the 100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS ... cannot decide :( would love the longer lens ... but would also love to have the superior image quality of the 70-200 .. plus 2.8 is a real advantage :(

Let me say this ... 70-200mm f2.8 L IS is very AWESOME!

I have a kit lens (which I rarely use) and a garbage lens (75-300)

.... it's a must have general all around for my interests (nature photography)!

Most reactions

Back