PhotoUp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I am deciding between 2 cameras, the canon 70d and the sony a6000.
I can get them for around the same price along with about 200mm lenses. I plan on using which ever one I get as my everyday and any type of photography camera along with a good amount action photography. I will also be using them to start to make videos/action videos in the future. I here they both have a good auto focus which would be good when shooting and recording sports but which is truly better. Which one would have the best quality and would be the all around camera for what i want to do?

I have read online plenty about both and I am still stuck. Also this will be my real digital camera but I have shot on film and regular digital so I am not a total photo noob.

I am very stuck on which one to get… Thanks for the help if you can!!!!!

70D should have far better auto focus for fast action.
On the other hand the a6000 has a better sensor which gives better low light performance and better dynamic range.
Frankly I would seriously consider the new a6300, the review shows a significant improvement in its auto focus and it can shoot 4K
On the other hand it doesn't have the tilting touch screen the 70D has.
Also need to take into account lenses, if you want good zoom lenses then Canon has a much bigger range of lenses and they are also lots of third party lenses that will give you amazing image quality for MUCH less then Sony's insanely expensive lenses.

Both have for and against.

Canon has a far more established system though, and combines the benefits of a dslr with the on sensor focus system, making it a very highly equipped model.

I'd say canon (but opinions are like........................................)

That video is biased. And purposefully decieving.

using tapatalk.

If your going to do action photography I'd probably lean towards the 70d, it's aF system is going to be geared toward that whereas from what I've read the AF system on the A6000, while supposedly good for a mirrorless, probably won't really compare all that well.

Sony A6000 Review - Field Test Part II

Considering that and the huge variety of lenses that are available for the Canon - particularly in the telephoto realm, well in the long run I think the 70d would likely be the better choice overall.

Go canon because of lenses and accessory options

My friend just got the Canon 70d refrub for $700 but I would get the A6300 for $998.00 or kit lens for $1148.99. I have both the a6000 and testing out the a6300 within the return policy. So far I really like the a6300 and once sigma releases their adapter plate it's going to be awesome. A6000 or a6300 are more technologically advance over other body's in its class. I drop Canon and never looked back.

Well, lenses are more important to image quality, than sensors. Thus overall image quality will be better from Canon.

Here's good comparison of the AF.
Not at all, this was intentionally rigged in favor of the Sony.

- Good light AF only, making sure the phase pixels of the Sony still work.
- Subject leaves the AF area of the Canon, thus AF gets lost repeatedly.
- In fact the subject even leaves the Canon IMAGE area when it doesnt leave the Sony ones.

Lets hope the authors of this b.s. at least got a good payment from Sony for their work.

I don't disagree with you.
I'd rather have the 70d but the sony does have a good auto focus from what the video shows.
Was it really a fair test no. But I assume people can see the flaws with the testing method.

I don't disagree with you.
I'd rather have the 70d but the sony does have a good auto focus from what the video shows.
Was it really a fair test no. But I assume people can see the flaws with the testing method.

Well the Sony's AF works well in this instance - but it works well because it only has a single target that stands out well against a fairly uncluttered background. The folks that have tested the AF system in scenarios where you have multiple possible subjects or cluttered backgrounds (as you'll often find shooting team sports or wildlife) have noted that it doesn't work nearly as well in those situations, often missing focus because it picks the wrong subject.

While it's true the A6000 works well here, they didn't test it evenly.

upload_2016-3-13_11-10-50.png

the jeep goes out of frame in the test, while the a6000 has PLENTY of breathing room towards the edges. The Canon probably could have maintained focus had it been zoomed out a bit. I't missed a few shots cause it went out of the focus area and then had to find it again.

This is also one of the most difficult scenarios for AF to keep up.

But beyond that, when in the world would you ever shoot a shot like this?

Where's the comparison of using both in center point, putting the lens at infinity focus, then pointing at an object and maintain focus. I'll bet you the Canon beats the Sony everytime in this real life shooting situation.

It doens't mean the sony is bad and the canon is better, but this is just not a great end-all test. It shows that the Sony is better for video on a tripod following moving objects.

Same thing here:

upload_2016-3-13_11-16-29.png

Drone goes out of frame, so the camera tries to lock on the next object, the tree.

The Canon is not really designed to use AF in this manner. Plus it really seems like they are using the a6000 frame to follow the Drone. They aren't trying to keep it centered in any camer'a coverage. Had someone been shooting the Canon they could have kept up with the Drone and kept it centered in the viewfinder and nailed every shot.

Hello. I am deciding between 2 cameras, the canon 70d and the sony a6000.
Please consider this post as an attempt to be helpful and not overly critical.

Somehow you got to the point of narrowing your search to these two cameras, even without mentioning which lenses. How did your thought process eliminate the hundred or so other choices?

I will grant you that a person's budget automatically eliminates everything above that line, and narrows the range considerably, so now you're down to a dozen or so that are within your range. Why just these two? Have you done the usual online search for comparisons? What did you learn there? O.K., I'll further grant that maybe the comparisons were either too generalized, too specialized, too technical, or just plain too full of jargon for the average neophyte to understand.

And we still have not discussed lenses, which are a very important component of either system and what you intend to do with either model.

So are you open to any other suggestions?

The 10 best DSLRs you can buy right now

Not Sure if this thread is still relevant or not, perhaps you have already made your decision. I own both the 70D and the a6000.

First let me preface all my opinions below with I still consider myself a noob, an educated and enthusiastic noob, but a noob all the same!

That said, I also dont do much that requires AF of moving objects or video so I cant comment there. I will say that I feel the image quality I get out of the 70D is better in some respects. This is using the same lens with both cameras using the Canon fotodiox adapter for the a6000. I will say in my experience the color and contrast of the 70D is more pleasing to me but this is just personal preference. The DR of the a6000 is better however I dont really care about that too much as I can bracket with the canon and just merge to HDR and find this to work better for me, but I am guessing for video and moving objects the extra DR of the a6000 would be a plus.

I dont like the menu system of the a6000 nearly as much but having the extra custom buttons is really nice! I do like that. I also like that the a6000 has 3 custom settings instead of just the 1 with the 70D. The touch screen of the 70D is much more versatile however. The ISO, drive mode buttons being on the scroll wheel of the a6000 drives me nuts as its really easy to accidentally change one of them while using the scroll wheel for other things. I also dont like the memory card access being where it is next to the battery on the a6000 but I guess those are just sacrifices that are made with such a small compact camera so its a fair trade off I guess. Lets also not forget the extremely short battery life of the a6000 and while there is a 3rd party battery grip that can be added Sony does not make one (at least yet) and the 3rd party unit does not have good reviews. Nothing a pocket full of batteries cant fix but for video or time lapse I do feel its a problem. Regarding HDR on the a6000, I feel the options and control are limited in some aspects. One example is bracketing for HDR in low light. I like to use a 2sec timer with AEB but the a6000 will not allow you to do this and shoot each bracketed exposure with a single release of the shutter button, they have to be done individually or the shutter release button must be held down for the entire sequence. Not an issue if you not into HDR but just something ive observed.

Personally I do not like the digital view finder of the a6000 but again thats just me. Both are great cameras in my book and I use both of them almost daily just for different things. The a6000 is my go everywhere with me camera, it never leaves my side and is great for street photography, travel and lightweight when I am doing extreme hiking and camping. When I can afford the extra weight and need better battery life, and want comfort of use the 70D is my go to.

These are just my opinions and much of them might not even be relevant to you. I just though id share my experience. In either case I think you will be getting a fine camera!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back