Canon 7D Best Lens ?

For what purpose?

If it's going to be used as a walk-around lens, then I would say the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8

As David said, for what purpose? Light and unobtrusive, is different from macro at a distance, is different from dim-light action shooting, is different from seeing eagles from afar, is different from getting it all in... And then there's the little question of budget - how much "best" are you prepared to pay for?

The 17-55 is a great lens. I like the 17-40 better for 2 reasons. It's a more weather sealed lens and if you ever decide to go full frame you can still use it. ....okay, 3 reasons. It's cheaper that the 17-55 also. Not to bash the 17-55 at all though. It does give you F2.8 and the glass is great quality. If money is no object, I'd recommend the 16-35L which is also F2.8.

When I was choosing between the 17-40 and the 16-35 I went back through my photos and realized out of the thousands of wide angle shots I took, not many were below F8 and maybe 5 of them were F2.8. I hope this helps some.

The 17-55 is a great lens. I like the 17-40 better for 2 reasons. It's a more weather sealed lens and if you ever decide to go full frame you can still use it. ....okay, 3 reasons. It's cheaper that the 17-55 also. Not to bash the 17-55 at all though. It does give you F2.8 and the glass is great quality. If money is no object, I'd recommend the 16-35L which is also F2.8.

When I was choosing between the 17-40 and the 16-35 I went back through my photos and realized out of the thousands of wide angle shots I took, not many were below F8 and maybe 5 of them were F2.8. I hope this helps some.

4 reasons why the 17-55 is better (on a crop body) than the 17-40.

f/2.8 vs f/4
17-55 has Image Stabilizer.
17-55 is sharper than Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM Lens Image Quality
The extra 15mm on the long end will come in handy as a walk-around-lens.

I agree that if someone was thinking of going FF it would be best to stay away from the EF-S lenses, but the question was about the best lens (walk-around?) for the 7D.

There you have it PrestigePanda. It's useless to ask these questions on an internet forum. You got two contrary responses leaving you where you started. lol. If you have the option, spend an afternoon at a camera shop playing with each lens and figure out which one you like best. That's the only way you are going to be sure you like what you're getting.

If not, local photography groups can get you in contact with a bunch of like minded people that can share examples and gear. Best of luck and keep shooting.

What's do you think is Canon 7D best lens?:er:

The most expensive one... of course.

On a more serious note, there's a reason it's possible to change lenses. No lens is the "best" (though some are decidedly better than others.) Without saying what you want to do with the lens or how you use your camera (what are your typical subjects when you shoot), there's no answer.

- What are you planning to shoot with that lens?
- What is your budget?

i.e.
1. I am planning to take close up photo of small insect and I am thinking about spending $300 to $400 for a lens.
2. I am planning to take photos of the animals at the local Zoo and need a lens that can "zoom in" to them and my budget is around $500 to $600.
3. I want to spend about $300 for a lens that I can use it as a general purpose lens.
4. .... ... ..
5 ... ... ...

I have a favorite for different things. What do you shoot?

I have to agree with the ones that say it depends on what you shoot. I tend to think that there are many best lenses, dependent directly on what it is that you want to shoot. I hear a lot people say they don't like to change lenses, and do wonder why would they buy a DSLR. I typically carry at least three of my lenses on any outing. Car show, this weekend, I took the 17-50mm and the 85mm and both worked out just fine.

I use the Sigma 18-250mm macro for museums, zoos, and aquariums on my 7D. I use the Sigma 50-500mm for wildlife and most outdoors work. I use the Tokina 11-16mm for dark close indoor areas. The "best" lens depends entirely on what you intend to shoot. In my experience I've found that a lens with a wide zoom range allows me to take photos without blowing up the photo or cropping it. Close focusing is also very important, at least to me. Changing a lens in the field is something I hate to do.

A car show in a crowd, you will be looking for wide angle. Wildlife at a distance, anything from 40mm to 600mm. And something completely different for everything in between. As a walk around general lens, I would look at the Canon 24-105 f4 IS, but that also depends on what your budget might be. I have a 24-70 and sometimes wish I had that little bit of extra reach instead of having to a longer lens.

Most reactions

Back