Canon 7d mk ii w/ 70-200 f2.8 mk ii. (wanting to trade to nikon)

also, the idea that you wouldn't have to focus calibrate a nikon setup is not particularly true either. When I had the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, I definitely had to focus calibrate it.
I've put on 5 lenses on my nikon d7000 and never had to adjust any of them.

also, the idea that you wouldn't have to focus calibrate a nikon setup is not particularly true either. When I had the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, I definitely had to focus calibrate it.

Yes and the vast majority of people for Canon and Nikon and most brands do just that. Lens on the camera and away you go. That's what manufacture tolerances do, they produce a system where more time than not it does work without a hitch. Sometimes you get exceptions, the original 100-400mm in its early days was a bit of a gamble between getting a good and bad copy and took a while before Canon got its production and tolerances under control.

Glad the OP has good luck with the Nikon D7000,thats the first Camera I started with and even though it was mostly user fault,the focus system could not even focus on a vehicle license plate on the opposite side of the street and confirmed by my local Camera shop while trying different lenses. After sending it out to nikon and came back still not focusing correctly and On top of that, it would randomly crash where the LCD and display was all on but would not respond or shut off with out removing the battery.After I gave up with it, got a New Nikon D3100 and a refurbished D90 that performed perfectly.

Last edited:
That has more to do with luck of the draw than a Nikon/Canon thing. I say that as a Nikon shooter who wishes it was the case that Nikon lenses were more accurate out of the box than Canon, but it's simply not true.

The studio I used to work at once made a bulk order of 16 70-200 f/2.8 ISII L lenses. 7 of them ere DEAD ON focus wise, 2 needed noticeable though not major calibration, 6 were off but by so little that you'd only notice if running a lab test and 1 had to be sent back because it was so far off that it couldn't be calibrated.

You're also more likely to notice a need for focus calibration on a telephoto because the depth of field can get so tiny. I never thought I needed to focus calibrate my nikkor 28mm f/1.8. Then I did it one day when I was just going through and testing them all and it was definitely off. I just never noticed because it's a wide angle. I think 9/10 when people complain that their lens isn't sharp enough it's because they haven't focus calibrated them.

Last edited:
Glad the OP has good luck with the Nikon D7000,thats the first Camera I started with and even though it was mostly user fault,the focus system could not even focus on a vehicle license plate on the opposite side of the street and confirmed by my local Camera shop while trying different lenses. After sending it out to nikon and came back still not focusing correctly and On top of that, it would randomly crash where the LCD and display was all on but would not respond or shut off with out removing the battery.After I gave up with it, got a New Nikon D3100 and a refurbished D90 that performed perfectly.
Dang. Sorry to hear that. Mine is great. In sorts the focus is not all great for fast focusing. But when it focuses it is awesome

Thank you.I think I just caught a bad one which is really sad because I never got to experience the great sensor thats in it.The only reason I moved over to Canon because there was not later mid lever Camera out with more megapixels other then the Canon 60D but then of course Nikon Comes out with the D7100 a little latter. Darn that Nikon for not telling me.LOL

I bought my Nikon d7000 a couple weeks before they released the d7100.
but I haven't had any focusing issues with the d7000 focusing. I use(d) it for sports and everything else with UWA to long zooms. It's my backup to the d600 now.

I know there is lots of happy D7000 users,I just got the bad apple of the bunch.Just like any other mass produced electronics,going to be bad one in the mix somewhere.

Last edited:
@ OP. I have the Nikon D7100 almost brand new ( 4400 ish shutter count ) with a battery pack and all that. Unfortunately I only have 1 lens for it right now, a 18-70mm. But if you want to do a body for body trade, let me know. :)

Also, I just went through my D7000 and oddly enough the cheapest lens I own (35mm f/1.8G dx) is the only one that I didn't do any autofocus fine tuning on. None of them were 100% dead on. 80-200 f/2.8 was -2, 60mm f/2 was +1, 11-16 f/2.8 was +1. The only one it was definitely noticeable on was the 80-200 when wide open at 200mm even then it took cropping in to really see it, but it was certainly there. But once applied everything seemed just a little bit crisper.

It's my opinion that everybody should go through and fine adjust focus on all their lenses. It's one of the primary benefits to having a better quality body.

@ OP. I have the Nikon D7100 almost brand new ( 4400 ish shutter count ) with a battery pack and all that. Unfortunately I only have 1 lens for it right now, a 18-70mm. But if you want to do a body for body trade, let me know. :)
7200 and I would think about. Or a full frame and give money towards it. Sorry

Looks like costalconan and I will be swamping lense probably. So once it takes place I'll be selling the 7d mk ii @ 1500$ unless someone has a d810 they would want to trade and I would add cash to the deal.

And I also have a 580ex flash that I would be selling as well.

Most reactions

Back