Canon 7D or Sony A77 or...

Ashishmodi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi friends, currently am using canon 50D want to upgrade to a new / better one , after much search over the net i have come to liking canon 7d ,Sony a77. Pleas someone show me the right path between the two or should I wait for some new model from canon .
Thanks

I would start by figuring out what type of photography you plan on doing most. Then figure out which body would help you with that type of photography.

Why are you thinking of ditching canon? You have a great classic body. Did you not collect lenses yet? How much life is left in the 50d? If its likely to last a while I'd start collecting lenses and not worry about a new camera body. I have a lowly t1i (same sensor as yours) I have no intention of upgrading until I have a substantial collection of L lenses or the body dies on me. Whichever comes first :)

I have the 40D (still have it) and upgraded mine to 7D because

- Main reason: The 40D had problem so I need to get a replacement. I believe it maybe related to the mirror mechanism or the shutter itself (Err99). It will still take photos, but occasionally, it gave Err99 with I press the shutter button. And I need to pull the battery out to reset it.

- I like a camera that can take video with my fast lens as well.

- I like a camera that has more than 9 AF points

- For what I shoot, full frame may not be a perfect format for me. (If I shoot weddings or portraits most of the time, then FF maybe better for me)

- Do not want to spend too much money.

- Do not want to sell my lenses (I can, but I do not think my photos are going to be better if I change, so why bother)

Hence, I pick up the 7D.

However, if my 40D still works perfectly, I do not think I will get the 7D at all now.

You have Canon lenses, stick with Canon. No reason to change brands, especially to one like Sony with a much smaller pool of lenses and accessories.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Most reactions

Back