Canon 7d wireless flash questions

kassad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking into purchasing a Canon 7d. I'm having trouble finding info on how to work with the in-camera wireless flash options. It looks like the 7d can do e-ttl with ratios for 3 seperate flash groups. I'm trying to figure out if I can still use those 3 seperate flash groups without using the onboard flash. Can the st-e2 unit transmit the cameras data using ir or does it become limited to 2 groups. Also can radio controllers like the Pocket wizard flextt5 or Pixel tr-332 manage 3 seperate groups?

I'm looking into purchasing a Canon 7d. I'm having trouble finding info on how to work with the in-camera wireless flash options. It looks like the 7d can do e-ttl with ratios for 3 seperate flash groups. I'm trying to figure out if I can still use those 3 seperate flash groups without using the onboard flash. Can the st-e2 unit transmit the cameras data using ir or does it become limited to 2 groups. Also can radio controllers like the Pocket wizard flextt5 or Pixel tr-332 manage 3 seperate groups?

The ST-E2, as far as I know, can also do 3 groups. You can use the 7D without the onboard flash making a difference in the exposure, but the flash *is* needed to set off the slaves. In the options you can set it to "Slave Only" which means the onboard flash won't affect the exposure and won't show up in the picture. It dims just enough to set off the slaves.

Radio controllers are all different. You have to check out the individual brands and models for that.

I may be wrong, but I think the ST-E2 only does two groups while the 580EX (and I suppose the 7D) can do 3 groups.

The St-E2 uses IR, but the 580 (and I suppose the 7D) just pulse the flash head.

Most reactions

Back