Canon 85mm f/1.8 or 70-200 f/4L (Non IS Version)

TylerV85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to upgrade my equipment before my wedding season kicks in gear. I'm considering buying either the 85mm f/1.8 or the 70-200 f/4L. Obviously a huge difference in the lenses. One is a fast prime, the other a high quality general purpose zoom. However, I'm wondering what your experiences with these lenses are in terms of its image quality, bokeh quality, AF speed, etc. Whatever lens I buy I'm going to use primarily for portraits. Keep in mind that 90% of my work is weddings. I'm not so concerned about the non IS because I use off camera flash/manual exposure to freeze the subject in low light situations. If flash is not able to be used I most of the time go with my 24-70 f/2.8L anyway. The 70-200 would be used primarily for portraits. If I got the 85mm I would use it for portraits and for extreme low light situations (flash not allowed) that even my 24-70 could not handle. I am using a 5d Mark II as my body.

My gut says 70-200 but my mind says 85 F1.8. Its a toss up but I probably would go with the 85 and save for the 70-200 2.8 version.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back