Canon 90EX Speedlight functions as a Master

oneguywithacamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.oneguywithacamera.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As I was reading some info on the new Canon M, I came across a claim that the 90EX can in-fact function as a master unit for Canon’s optical driven ETTL-II system. Well, of course I had to double check that fact, since it’s MSRP is only $149. Previously the only way to get master functionality was to buy a ST-E2 (~$250) or a 508EX II (~$450). Sure enough, Canon USA states “…and can control multiple flash units for advanced, creative lighting effects.” That’s pretty cool, and can start to give off-camera speedlighters a much lower cost of entry for a multiple flash master.

I haven’t found a link to the manual for the 90EX, but judging by the only control being on the unit is the power switch, the 90EX can only be an on-camera flash or master controller and not a slave itself. This isn’t a big deal really, as the guide number of the 90EX is a diminutive 30′ – compared to a 430EX II’s 141′. I’m also not sure if the master function is only controllable via a 2012 camera’s menu system or if it will work on pre-2012 bodies.

In any case the 90EX is a bargain master controller for IR ETTL-II control if that's the way you want to go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back