Canon AE-1, lenses and many accessories

loretta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am hoping someone will be kind enough to offer advice to someone who knows nothing about photography. I joined your forum simply to ask for the help of an equipment expert to give me an idea of what my husband's camera and accessories are worth. I have no need for them and can certainly use anything I can get for them. I welcome all replies. I will list below what I have and would appreciate a ball park estimate and whether, in your opinion, I should sell everything together or sell them seperately. Thanks so much in advance, and Happy Holidays to you and yours. Loretta (I would also add that my husband always took care of this stuff, and it is in immaculate condition)

If you would like, please feel free to make an offer on the lot. I am located in Fairfax, VA but often travel north to the Baltimore, Md area as well. I can be reached via my hotmail address which is ettevroc28

Items for sale:

1. Canon AE-1
2. Quantaray Automatic Lens 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 macro zoom
3. Quantaray Auto Zoom 80-205mm 1:4.5 multi coated no. 827840
4. Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.8
5. Canon Speedlite 199A
6. JC Penney Auto 2X Tele-Converter
7. Lenmar XP Series 1.5X Telephoto Video Lens
8. Leather Case (black)
9. Lens Cleaning Kit
10. 62mm Coated Filter
11. 52mm Coated Filter Closeup Lens no. 3
12. 52mm Coated Filter Skylight 1A

First it depends on the condition of the equipment. Unfortunately, there will be a difference between excellent and Mint.

Second, don't be hurt, but It's probably not worth more than 125 or so U.S. The 50mm 1.8 lens will go for maybe 35 to 50 dollars on Ebay. The body, 50 to 100 dollars, depending on conditon. The off-brand lenses won't go for much at all, by that I mean the non-canon glass. The flash, maybe 25 to 35, maybe a bit more if the battery compartment is super clean (no corrosion due to battery leakage, etc).

I didn't want to answer you, because I didn't know what your expectations were, and how sentimental it (the gear) is to you. If there is no sentimental value, I'd say throw it up on EBAY as a whole kit. Never know what it'll bring. If there is, and you don't want to sell it for that, then pass it down as an heirloom. Or better, get some film and use it.:mrgreen: Edit. Immacualate may be confusing. It may appear as new on the outside, but lenses get barely discernable fungas, haze and minute dust particles on the inside. Foam inside the body, turns sticky, and can crumble. If you know how to look for this stuff, then good. If not, take it to a QUALIFIED, camera shop, and have them evaluate it. Should cost you very little for them to inspect the stuff, and if your lucky, they might not charge you a dime. Look on EBAY, and compare apples to apples, and watch to see what the selling price is. That will give you a pretty good idea. Having the original manuals and boxes are a plus, too.

J.

Last edited:
Thank you J. I'm not a member of Ebay but I'll look into it and see what selling entails. The equipment doesn't mean anything to me. Just the man who used to use it.

Thank you J. I'm not a member of Ebay but I'll look into it and see what selling entails. The equipment doesn't mean anything to me. Just the man who used to use it.

Just a hint, if you don't sell on Ebay, then you'll have zero feedback. That means, that for every sale you make, someone leaves you positive or negative feedback. If you have zero, people won't have as much faith in you, as a seller (nothing personal) just the way it goes. Find a friend, somewhere that has a lot of feedback, positive of course, and have them sale it for you. People will have more "good faith" in buying and it might bring more money, than it will, if you're a new seller. If you are the least interested in getting into photography, well, looks like you have everything you need to get started! Might want to give it a try. And this is the place to start. Most everything you want to know has probably been posted, if you use the search feature, and even if it has or hasn't, there will be people on here, many of them experts or professionals, that will bend over backwards to help you. Whatever you choose to do, good luck to you. I know what you mean about the "stuff" and the man. My father, after retirement was a semi-pro bass fisherman. When he died, I inherited all of his fishing gear, among other things. The only thing I ever caught was a "cold". We would go "fishing". He'd be as serious as if he were looking for the cure for cancer. The only thing I was serious about was if the beer was cold enough.:lol: Good times though.

Again, good luck. Maybe someone on this site, that is interested in film photography, will make you a reasonable offer, who knows.

J.:mrgreen:

You should sell it all as a package deal, everything you have with the exception of the camera it self, the flash and the 50mm 1.8 are all third party equipment, even then the 50mm 1.8 is consumer grade glass (in other words it's inexpencive the lens that came with the camera). You'll be luckey to get $150 (USD) for the lot. I personally have manufacturer prime lenses that cover all of the focal ranges that kit does that cost me less than $200 (USD) to assemble, so don't let your hopes get too high.

Most reactions

Back