Canon ae-1 program *favorite accessory*

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by ladybee, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ladybee

ladybee TPF Noob!

Some of you already know I just received a canon ae-1 program as a gift.

Who all has one and what's your favorite accessory?

What kind of bag do you have? The one I have is old and leaves black dust on everything I put into it.

What's your thought on filters? The color ones too?

Thanks guys :)

ladybee<3

2. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you're starting out, you probably should get a good book. I know this doesn't sound as exciting as gear, but a lot of your questions about what gear you would want to have will self resolve if you reada few good books on exposure. Stick with the camera & 50mm lens and make sure you're comfortable with your camera and understand how to manually set exposures... And also why you would want to favor certain apertures or certain shutter speeds. You will want a good bag though... No reason to put off buying one of those.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't get locked into thinking about accessories for an 'AE-1'...it's just a camera.

I'd recommend a tripod, but if you need a new camera bag, that may be a more pressing issue.

4. Railphotog

Railphotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Way back when I used AE-1's my favorite accessory was a Power Winder. I used to shoot cars at local drag and stock car tracks, and having the auto winder was great. Of course later when I moved up to the AE-1Program and the A-1, Motor Drive MA was even faster and better!

5. cabledawg

cabledawg TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to agree with Rail. The power winder has been an asset to me in that sometimes I forget to wind the next shot and even this weekend I missed a few good ones of the kids because of this. Nothing sucks more than pressing the button, no click and you go "Oh ****, I forgot to wind the film!".

Filters, I'd get a polarizing one for any lens you have. Makes a world of difference but remember it cuts down the light a little. As for bags, I use a Pelican case for storage/transport and just a neck strap for when I'm out and about. And get "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. I know its more for DSLR's, but there are alot of general photgraphy hints and tricks without all the boring tech lingo.

6. FireDiva

FireDiva TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I just bought a Lowepro Sling Shot 102 AW from Amazon. It suits my needs as I only have two lenses. I agree with TCampbell about books and learning to shot using my own settings. It's a real struggle at the moment, however I keep at it and sooner or later it will become automatic. At least that's what my Mentor tell me....