Canon AE-1 Program...you guys will kill me

SquirrelNuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went to a local pawn shop today looking for cameras and I found something I could NOT pass up.

I already owned a Canon AE-1 (on loan from my parents) and I am saving up for something a little more sophisticated in the 35mm realm as soon as I learn to use the AE-1 (I already own a couple nice digitals). I was out looking for a Nikon N80 or N90, and I came across two Canon AE-1's at this pawn shop. I pick up the first AE-1 and it looks nice, but the sensor was messed up and the shutter would stick, so I put it back. I pick up the second AE-1, and it is an AE-1 Program. I am used to the controls of the AE-1, and it took me no time to figure out the AE-1 Program. This camera worked PERFECTLY. No shutter release squeak, shutter speed was great, auto-exposure was perfect, very clean...and it came with accessories...bag, speed light, teleconverter lens, filters, eyecup, manual, and mount. All of this came to a whopping $90!!!!! I was so thrilled.

To top of this day I am at Wal Mart looking for more film. I already have some, but I need to feed the habit...you know? I find some Polaroid 35mm ISO 800 high definition four packs (96 exposures) for $6.28 per four pack. I take it to the register and it rings up for $7.88, so they adjust the price to $6.28 and then take off $3.00 because it rang up wrong. I bought five packs at $3.28 each. I managed to walk out with 20 rolls of 800 speed high definition film for $17.22!!!!

Nice photography day in my book. Now I need to go out and shoot...shoot...shoot.

If you can find a gem like I did, don't pass it up!

-SquirrelNuts

There is nothing wrong with using older cameras as long as they work, or sale priced film if stored properly. The Canon AEs were good stuff.

The nice thing I find about cameras is that they will do everything you ask them to do today as they would 20 years ago. My Canon AE-1's will still take great shots, but my 8086 will not run Windows XP.

There is a tiny bit of dust/other particles inside the film housing along the pressure plates. What is the best way to get rid of this? The camera manual warns you not to touch these plates at all.

-SquirrelNuts

Be careful about using compressed air around the shutter leaves. These are extremely thin metal and some canned air is high enough pressure to damage them.

Most reactions

Back