Canon ae-1

I feel like I am asking a lot so my apologies if I'm getting annoying but like I said I'm new to photography and would like I take it more seriously. I'm not exactly see what you meant by "read" the negative, not the print. Would ou mind explains? Thanks!

I've the exact camera and I really liked it. Depends on what you want to learn there're just too many things to talk about. One thing suggest though is to get a ISO100 film to test out your skills (of course after reading some photography books etc). I got a Fujifilm Superia Reala ISO100 film and planning to take some photos this weekend.

I feel like I am asking a lot so my apologies if I'm getting annoying but like I said I'm new to photography and would like I take it more seriously. I'm not exactly see what you meant by "read" the negative, not the print. Would ou mind explains? Thanks!

He means learning how to determine if the picture is good before even seeing the final positive print.

For example, looking at this negative, I could determine if the picture was exposed properly, more or less, and also developed properly (more or less).

$Day 297 - Negative.jpg

Here's the positive image for that negative. I might also have realized that thought the image probably was exposed and developed properly, but the final positive image wasn't much to write home about :)
$Untitled-Scanned-59.jpg

Here are a few resources:
The Online Darkroom: How to read a negative

Molecular Expressions Microscopy Primer: Photomicrography - Black & White Film Processing Errors

Welcome, by the way, to the forum, to photography, and especially to film! :D

I used to have an AE-1; no idea what happened to it.

I do have a black-body A-1 that I'd like to run some film through at some point, just to do it...

When I take pictures I notice a M in red and a meter. What is the meter for? I have also seen the red dot light up several times. I know that that is an indication that he there isn't enough light… is that where the meter comes in to play?

OK. I'm gonna take a stab here. The M and the other dots are your meter. The dots correspond with a recommended shutter speed based on what aperture (f) you've selected and the light coming through the lens. Some cameras are different (my Minolta X-370 flashes your chosen speed and the meter determined speed is shown as a constant), but I BELIEVE the AE-1 just tells you what it thinks you should be on, not the one you are on. I could be wrong there, and I think the AE-1 Program is different, so i can't go check.

Ok thank you, I will double check on that just in case. I have another question… shocker! When I go to buy film I have been getting the 400 speed. Do I have to keep that camera on that speed or can I adjust for different things i.e. sports?

No, you really cannot change the ISO setting
Film sensitivity is not variable

The M means the aperture is not set to A - auto
The circular LED on the bottom indicates under-exposure
The red zone on the top indicates over-exposure

If you are in M mode, then you are in manual exposure. The meter will tell you what lens aperture to manually set based on the shutter speed you have selected
If the lens is set to A then the camera will automatically set the lens aperture

Getting ready to go to a soccer game. Is my lens good for action shots? I have the standard one.

You are going to have to run with them on the field to get any close up shots

300mm or more would be better

Ok, thank you! But Can I adjust the shutter speed?

Last edited:
You can adjust the shutter speed to whatever you want ... as long as you do not over or under expose.
For moving objects you should keep the shutter speed high ... ex. 250 or higher ... to freeze action.

I picked up my pictures yesterday... I think they came out pretty good. When I figure out how to pot them I will. Let me know what you guys think!

What does the speed of the film do? Is there certain speeds for certain events?

The film speed tells you how sensitive it is to light. Lower numbers (ISO 50, 100) are less sensitive, so they need more light and are good for outdoor, daylight shots. They are considered "slow" speed film. High speed film, like 400, 800 and higher, are more sensitive to light so it takes less light to make a good exposure. These are often used for indoor shots or night shots. 200 is a medium speed and fairly flexible.

This isn't to say that you HAVE to use 100 for shooting outdoors, or 400 for indoors. Depends on what you want to do and what your camera can do. For example, I have some cameras whose shutters only go to 1/250. I would rather use low speed film for that so I have more flexibility in setting the cameras shutter and aperture for the exposure. If I use higher speed film, I have less flexibility - it's more sensitive to light, so I'd generally be using faster shutter speeds, but if I only can go as fast as 1/250, I have fewer options for shooting.

Make sense?

Most reactions

Back