Canon and Nikon

drlynn said:
That may have changed a bit with the new Canon IS lenses, tho, ifyou need them. Nikon doesn't have anything to match them, as far as I know.
Nikon's equivalent is VR (Vibration Reduction)
Minolta is coming out with a DSLR later this year that has it built in to the camera. No need for expensive lenses.

danalec99 said:
Patrick said:
MDowdey said:
canon users can go choke....

seriously, there kneck and kneck the whole way...id take a g5 over a coolpix...but id take an n70 over a 10d

md

DITTO 8)

Wait till the Canon desciples see this :lol:
WHY YOU LITTLE INSIGNIFICANT PIECE OF.... HAHA!!! :D

I personally like my canon more for the lens lineup than the bodies (unless of course, you're talking about the canon 1DII, the dream body of all sports photographers). In general, canon telephotos seem to generate sharper and more contrasty images at any aperture. However, I do admit that canon Wide Angle lenses leave a lot to be desired.

malachite said:
manda said:
MDowdey said:
canon users can go choke....

:shock: :shock: :shock:

*falls down*

I know mouth to mouth! Malachite to the rescue! :lol:

Coke vs Pepsi
Chevy vs Ford

I drink Dr. Pepper and have always been more of a Mopar fan :p

:)

ksmattfish said:
Jeff Canes said:
ksmattfish said:
Canon: I can't remember the model, but it's a 35mm rangefinder with interchangable lenses including a 50mm f/.9 (that's right f/nine tenths).

I don’t thing Canon has made a rangefinder with interchangeable lenses since the late 60’s or early 70’s

That's the one. It's not the camera I'm after, it's that amazing f/.9 lens!

That lens is a thread mount :?:

Jeff Canes said:
ksmattfish said:
Jeff Canes said:
ksmattfish said:
Canon: I can't remember the model, but it's a 35mm rangefinder with interchangable lenses including a 50mm f/.9 (that's right f/nine tenths).

I don’t thing Canon has made a rangefinder with interchangeable lenses since the late 60’s or early 70’s

That's the one. It's not the camera I'm after, it's that amazing f/.9 lens!

That lens is a thread mount :?:

I'm sure it is. I'm just in love with a lens with an aperture wider than the focal length. It's like it has night vision!!

voodoocat said:
Nikon's equivalent is VR (Vibration Reduction)
Minolta is coming out with a DSLR later this year that has it built in to the camera. No need for expensive lenses.

I think I did read that somewhere recently , Voodoo, now that you mention it. I'll be interested to see if the Minolta system works as well as the lens-based stabilization in the other systems.

Not too long back I bought a Canon 10D simply because it was the best digital that I could afford (I didn't have any lenses by any other camera company) at the time.
A short time later my rotten kid bought a Nikon D70 (he already had Nikon lenses but that probably only added a bias) so we've both got to play with each others cameras.
I think we're in agreement that the differences are marginal, there's a few minor feature differences with possibly the Nikon having the edge but I love the construction of my 10D and personally I prefer the grip and feel of it to the D70 but it's no big deal either way.
If I had my druthers it would be a D70 in a 10D housing so I guess it is the old Ford/Chevy thing again.
BTW, if you're a Nikon person the D70 is far superior to the D100 IMHO.

Nikon has been known for years and years as being the absolute best 35mm manufacturer. Canon has been known for years and years as being the absolute 2nd best.

Nikon makes cameras for professionals that need a camera that won't break. It's not that Canon makes crap, but it looks like Nikon sticks with what works. Canon tends to take chances to improve their product with more features, etc - which don't always work out.

That said, I don't understand why the D70 has a plastic body and the 10D's is Magnesium Alloy...go fish. Anyway, if you need to shoot in Lebanon or Iraq - I'd probably forego Canon without hesitation because that's what Nikon has been in business for. But, it sounds like none of us need that kind of hardware - we just need it to be able to function thousands and thousands of times without problems.

Galaxy_Stranger said:
Nikon has been known for years and years as being the absolute best 35mm manufacturer. Canon has been known for years and years as being the absolute 2nd best.
Funny, it's also known the other way around. It all depends upon who you ask.

HAHAH!

Yeah, I guess so!

A friend of the family is a wildlife photographer and shoots for National Geographic and other publications. He's die-hard Nikon. I prolly got it from all those years of Nikon people scrutinizing Canon, heheheh. (I have a couple AE-1's by the way - which is why I catch it.)

Yeah, people tend to get fanatical about this stuff. It kind of sucks. If you take a look at a sporting event, you see an awful lot of big white lenses hanging off the pro's cameras though, so Canon is well represented too.

There are definitely different areas each one will shine. Canon has great image stabilization tech, but Nikon has traditionally won out when it comes to flash implementation.

It's like Chevy vs. Ford or Honda vs. Toyota. It really depends upon what you want out of it.

Personally I prefer a big-block Dodge. I can replace the intake manifold in about ten minutes and don't even have to drain the coolant. On the other hand, you can walk into the average speed shop and buy hop-up parts for the Chevy 350 right off the shelf, and for a lot cheaper.

Most reactions

Back