Canon annouces new 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II lens

!@#@#!

My 70-200mm f2.8 IS is only just a year and a half old - and its already outdated.

I want's a new one!
Be interesting to see what price this new one appears at and how it measures up to the existing 70-200mm in features

I barely use the one I have.

Someone asked for a 24-70 IS... why? With the current high ISO, it's pretty easy to get a hand-held shot with that camera... whereas the 70-200 needs it for fast action.

My 70-200 is probably my most useful lens.

Someone asked for a 24-70 IS... why? With the current high ISO, it's pretty easy to get a hand-held shot with that camera... whereas the 70-200 needs it for fast action.
If you need to ask, then you probably don't need it. :)

I want's a new one!
Be interesting to see what price this new one appears at and how it measures up to the existing 70-200mm in features
Over on the Canon forums they were saying £2799! That scares the bejesus out of me. :)

Last edited:

I don't get it either. I am holding out getting a 24-70 for a newer version, but I don't want to have to pay extra for IS. Seems rather useless to me, but....? Now if they released two versions, with/without IS, to save some cash, I'd be all over the non-IS version.

Except for rumours, pricing and availibility was commented by Canon USA to be,

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens is supplied with a detachable tripod collar, a reversible bayonet mount lens hood and a lens pouch. The new lens is scheduled to be delivered to U.S. dealers in April, price to be determined.

24-70mm f/2.8 IS rumours have been flying around for a while; personally, I don't see it coming out at CES, if anywhere near this month, or Feb. Later this year is an option, though we have yet to see if any build up or indications from Canon might give a sign that it is even a possibility.

I want's a new one!
Over on the Canon forums they were saying £2799! That scares the bejesus out of me. :)

I was thinking it would hit near the £2000 mark, but not £700 over! That really is insane and I do hope the price is a lot lot lower. I guess though it depends on the existing version of the 70-200mm f2.8 IS. One would hope that canon aim this new product as a replacement - thus the intitial price might be higher than the current but it will eventually lower as the old one sells out of stock (since they stop production)
That way it gets to fit back into the same niche that the original had - or canon could allow it to be a superior version and thus have two similar lenses in two very different price brackets.

I hope and suspect that the first is what happens.

Most reactions

Back