Canon APS-C crop body:

Kusca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So for some of you that may have read my previous threads, I own a A700 which has terrible hi iso performance. Also any lens I get for it now, I cannot use on a future Full Frame that I plane to get in 2012, (I am not getting sony because it looks like the whole line up is going SLT). I need good hi-iso low noise performance. I want something that I can shoot ISO 1600 with not too much noise.
Adorama has:
Canon 50D with EF28-135
Canon 40D with EF28-135
Both models refurbished (this does not bother me)
Used Canon 5D with no lens; this does bother me, as I do not know how the owner used it and it has no warranty, but guarantied good hi iso performance.
Will I see a noise improvement over the Sony A700, this is important, but not so much as I can use the lens that I buy for it on future FF from Canon, and i can use this as a back up (or for 1.6 crop lenses), and not have to carry 2 sets of lenses and 2 bodies.

Last edited:
How about buying very fast glass instead. And use a monopod. Then you can (maybe) work using a lower ISO.

How about buying very fast glass instead. And use a monopod. Then you can (maybe) work using a lower ISO.

Some places where I would take a camera do not allow Tripods and Monopods, and sometimes I want to use a large depth of field.

from what I have seen any Canon dslr, 30D on up, is going to outperform the a700 in the ISO department. If you want even better high ISO then some of the Nikons out perform the Canons.

from what I have seen any Canon dslr, 30D on up, is going to outperform the a700 in the ISO department. If you want even better high ISO then some of the Nikons out perform the Canons.

Thanks this was the answer I was looking for.

Another question on either the 5D or the 50D is it possible in Liveview mode, to zoom to better manual focus?

And are there any maxxum to ef adaptors?

Another question on either the 5D or the 50D is it possible in Liveview mode, to zoom to better manual focus?
Yes, there is a 5x and 10x digital zoom (activated by pressing the little (+) sign button on the top right). When zoomed out, a white box will represent the area to zoom in on and that box can be moved to any part of the image with the joystick. Also, I hope you mean the 5DmkII; the original 5D has no Live View capabilities.

Last edited:
The 50D has a 5x and 10x magnification in LV. The 5D has no LV at all.

EDIT: Turns out I'm too slow :er:

I am having a harder time choosing between the 50D and the 5D Mark I. The 5D mark i, has better Hi ISO performance plus the 17-40mm L lens will still be 17 on the wide end. The 50D is newer and has live view with zoom capabilities to better manually focus (though I guess the 5D viewfinder is plenty large), a disadvantage is the 11-16mm Tokina I would get for it would not able to be used on a future FF, also 50D $200 cheaper with EF 38-125mm lens and a 1 year warranty. I am leaning towards the 50D.

Tough decision.

I'm still going through the learning curve with my new Canon 60D. Whether it's the kit lens (Canon F3.5 18-135) or the hi ISO that I find myself using indoors, I'm pretty UNimpressed with the results. OK, maybe it's that learning curve thing - any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And I've not yet figured out the sensor size issue - it seems like my final images ARE bigger than they show on the viewer.

Question: Any observations about use of a monopod? I know it doesn't replace a tripod, but I thought it might work for travel.

Cheers,
Zach Ft. Collins, CO

I hate to report that the 60D just doesn't have very good high ISO performance DxOMark - Compare sensors. Under exposure makes image noise much more visible. At high ISO settings you have to nail the exposure to minimize noise.

Which viewer are you referring to. I have a 22" computer display that is set to display 1600 px by 1200 px. If my camera makes photos that are 4288 px by 2828 px, the photos will be larger than my display can show at one time.

The usefulness of a monopod instead of a tripod is directly related to the shutter speed you will will be using. At slow shutter speeds a monopod can still allow enough camera movement to degrade image sharpness.

Last edited:
I'm still going through the learning curve with my new Canon 60D. Whether it's the kit lens (Canon F3.5 18-135) or the hi ISO that I find myself using indoors, I'm pretty UNimpressed with the results. OK, maybe it's that learning curve thing - any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And I've not yet figured out the sensor size issue - it seems like my final images ARE bigger than they show on the viewer.

Question: Any observations about use of a monopod? I know it doesn't replace a tripod, but I thought it might work for travel.

Cheers,
Zach Ft. Collins, CO

The 60D has a 96% veiwfinder which means the final image will be 4% larger than what is seen in the viewfinder. That lens is a mediocre lens at best. If you do alot of low light you really need at least 1 of 3 things a tripod, faster glass , or a flash that you can use off camera or bounce. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back