Canon Canonet 28

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just looking around goodwill today and i saw it sitting on te shelf and asked the guy if i could see it. Looked pretty good so i got it. Costs me only $5. Went to the camera shop got a new battery and I'm exited to try it out.

Anyone have this camera? Any tips for using it?

Nice! I don't know what your experience is, but that would not only be a great camera to learn on, but one I would probably now (or similar) if I still used film. Some of the greatest photogs ever used rangefinders with normal lenses. That one is a touch wider, but still a good choice for street work.

I've got a few Canonets in my cabinet. Great compact rangefinder and in my opinion, one of the sharpest looking rangefinders. A few people will recognize it from the movie Pecker. Pretty good movie for a rained out day. If you enjoy the Canonet 28, see if you can find a good conditioned Canonet GIII QL17.

When not in use, make a habit of moving the aperture setting away from "A". It will help prevent draining the battery for the meter. Also, examine the foam around the rear film door. The light sealing foam tends to get all gummy and sticky. It is a 30min job to remove it and replace it with new foam which can be purchased from cameraseals or your local camera shop. The battery itself is also an issue. It is a mercury battery which is banned in the US. Alkaline replacements can be found at various locations including photobattery.com. If you find a canonlite flash made specific for the the canonets in working condition, consider getting it right then and there. Its a difficult flash to find and it was specifically made to couple with the canonets and their meter.

Have fun.

Most reactions

Back