Canon could take a shot and my d60 couldn't, advice?

Without knowing the model of canon (body and lens) your friend was shooting it's hard to respond to this. The camera probably had a little to do with it, as the d60 is about 3 stops worse in low light then some of the newer canon consumer level dslrs.

What was the max aperture on your friends lens. It may have been a faster f2.8 model, maybe the 17-55 f2.8 efs. They were most likely shooting at iso1600.

Unfortunately like I said I didn't get too much time with it, but I thought hers was 18-55 like mine, but I could have seen it wrong, and what you are saying would make sense. She wasn't using a flash either. I can't wait to see what her photos look like when she puts them online because they didn't appear to have a lot of noise on the screen, but if they do that will help explain it.

This is most likely a very novice question, but our apertures and shutter speeds were set the same- would her max aperture matter?

Without knowing the model of canon (body and lens) your friend was shooting it's hard to respond to this. The camera probably had a little to do with it, as the d60 is about 3 stops worse in low light then some of the newer canon consumer level dslrs.

Sorry I meant to put it in my response with the photos, she has the canon rebel eos t1i- 99% sure she has the kit lens.

Without knowing the model of canon (body and lens) your friend was shooting it's hard to respond to this.

Agreed, I figured as much but didn't think it would hurt to ask, thanks everyone for your input!

This is most likely a very novice question, but our apertures and shutter speeds were set the same- would her max aperture matter?

Your aperture and shutter speeds may have been set the same, but if your ISO was not the same, you will see vastly different results when it comes to displaying the image. In any case, consumer Canon's have notoriously horrible LCD screens. Just because you didn't see noise on a 2" display doesn't necessarily translate into what it will look like on screen or in print.

In any case, it sounds like the conditions were a bit rough for a consumer DSLR with kit lens and no flash. I doubt either of you made out very well. I couldn't even imagine shooting a reception without a flash and, like I said, I am normally using a 1.8 prime or 2.8 zoom at ISO 1600 WITH a flash during conditions like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back