Canon EF 100-300mm USM Lens Good, Bad or Otherwise

mr.mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wondering if anyone still uses the old Canon EF 100-300mm usm lens and what are you using it for? I personally prefer some of the older Canon lenses and would like to know what other vintage lenses you find useful?

Last edited:
I still use mine from time to time. I use it on my 7d. It is much lighter than my Sigma 150-600 sports lens.

I used to have one many years ago but sold it on when I got my first 'L' lens, the 100-400L.

I used to have one many years ago but sold it on when I got my first 'L' lens, the 100-400L.

Don't use my photo gear enough to justify the investment in an "L" lens yet, but since my retirement, I'm finding a bit more time to make use of what I've got. I have a good deal of fun investing in the older Canon variety of glass. Some are extremely good, some are poor. But you can purchase these older lenses so cheap that you can afford to experiment. I might take a chance on an old Canon 100-300mm "L" lens. It's an oldie, but I understand it still delivers what you'd expect from an "L" glass quality lens. Waiting to find a bargain. I'm also finding time to tinker with the "as is bargains" I've accumulated over the years and developing a knack for repairing these old clunkers.

Last edited:
I could brag about my $375 100-400, but the crux is if the 100-300 is worth it.

IMO, yes.
Event he non L lens is a decent performer.
Look at such results on Flickr and see what folks can do with them.

i picked up 1 28-70 (version 1) that is non -IS.. The diff. in performance with glass is noticeable, and I was able to get the lens for less than $360.

IMO, yes.

i picked up 1 28-70 (version 1) that is non -IS.. The diff. in performance with glass is noticeable, and I was able to get the lens for less than $360.

You can find unbelievable bargains out there. A good deal of people have over - the - top impulse purchases sitting in a closet. Then one day while cleaning out that closet they discover a way to pick up a few bucks by listing these treasures on one of the Internet outlets. Now these items show up on line "as is make an offer" due to them never quite figuring out how to use this gear. Of course you can get burned by a seller who knows exactly what they're selling. But for most part, people would just like to get a few bucks out of something taking up space. I just bought an old Canon EOS 10s film camera with a 50mm 1.8 Mk I lens for $23.00 Camera and lens were like new. But I've gotten stuck a few times as well. It's a hobby! If I had to depend on this for my lively-hood, I'd probably starve.

IMO, yes.

You can find unbelievable bargains out there. A good deal of people have over - the - top impulse purchases sitting in a closet. Then one day while cleaning out that closet they discover a way to pick up a few bucks by listing these treasures on one of the Internet outlets. Now these items show up on line "as is make an offer" due to them never quite figuring out how to use this gear. Of course you can get burned by a seller who knows exactly what they're selling. But for most part, people would just like to get a few bucks out of something taking up space. I just bought an old Canon EOS 10s film camera with a 50mm 1.8 Mk I lens for $23.00 Camera and lens were like new. But I've gotten stuck a few times as well. It's a hobby! If I had to depend on this for my lively-hood, I'd probably starve.
I got the 100-400 from a major retailer and it had the lock ring not locking, and fungus on the front element.

A dollar Store glass wipe package and some scotch tape later, the lens works perfectly. A valued $1200 lens for $375, you can't go wrong.

I have contemplated the 100-300 myself off of KEH and nearly got it when a tiny voice (the thunder of God saying wait), and I did.

Then the 100-400 came up I had to jump on it two days later.

IMO, yes.

I got the 100-400 from a major retailer and it had the lock ring not locking, and fungus on the front element.

A dollar Store glass wipe package and some scotch tape later, the lens works perfectly. A valued $1200 lens for $375, you can't go wrong.

I have contemplated the 100-300 myself off of KEH and nearly got it when a tiny voice (the thunder of God saying wait), and I did.

Then the 100-400 came up I had to jump on it two days later.

You just have to keep your eyes open. The bargains are out there, you just have to recognize the opportunity when it arises. Can't be afraid to take a gamble once in a while either.

The 100-300 5.6L. This was one of Canon’s first ‘L’ zoom auto focus. I bought when it came out years ago.I still have it and use it. Admittedly 5.6 is on the slow side but properly used it performs like an ‘L’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most reactions

Back