Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM?

cigrainger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to be getting a Canon Digital Rebel XT soon, and I'm wondering if for a noob who is trying to experience all different kinds of photography, it would be better to get this lens or the kit EF-S18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens bundled with a EF 75-300mm f4.0-5.6 III Canon lens.

I really like taking closeup pictures of animals at the zoo, but I'm wondering if maybe it's better to get the better glass, with the IS and USM, and live without the 18-28mm range and the 135-300mm range until I can afford better glass for an ultra wide angle and a telephoto.

Does it seem reasonable to go with the better lens but with less range for now? Is it really that much better quality glass?

My biggest issue is that I'd really like to do some wide angle and telephoto stuff. Most of what I'm interested in is nature, photojournalism, travel, and animals (at the zoo but maybe some wild depending on where I travel).

I have a max budget of less than a grand, including the body, lens(es), a case, cleaning kit, tripod, and memory card.

I would suggest looking at the EF-S 17-85 IS. It's basically the updated 'digital' version of the 28-135mm IS.

It's wide enough for everyday shooting and it has IS and USM. The build quality is a huge step up from the 18-55 kit lens.
The biggest problem with this lens..is that it's max aperture is not very big, therefore...As a compliment to this lens, I would suggest a fast prime like the 50mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8 or 28mm F2.8 or the Sigma 30mm F1.4.

Most reactions

Back