Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 lens or EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5?

ckshen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i am going on a 3 month travelling trip and going to take some pictures. i am debating whether i should get a new lens for the trip. the pictures taken by the old lens that came with the camera sometimes look sharp, sometimes don't. but i don't know if i should get the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 or 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 because i am not sure if the quality difference is big enough.

should i stick with the stock lens for now and save more money so i can trade up later to something better than the 28-105mm? or is the 28-105mm a worthwhile investment? i prefer zooms for now, for the convenience during the trip.

thanks!

How steady is your hand? Are you using a tripod? Modern zooms are usually sharp enough that most of the blurring you see is not from the lens, especially if you aren't blowing the images up very far. It usually takes a experienced photographer to make use of the extra sharpness of a good lens.

That's not to say it won't be a factor, but if you are happy with your current zoom range, I'd wait and put the money towards a prime.

i don't have shaky hands but i don't have the steadiest of hands either. its one of those things that you can still feel very slight movements in the hand even when i hold still. i tend to believe that i should make an even more conscious effort to steady myself more. or though for day shot it doesn't seem to be a big factor.

i also got some better films this time, so hopefully that will contribute to better sharpness as well.

i am not bringing a tripod though this time. hard to lug it around every day on the trip. i'd rather find a garbage can, etc. to put the camera on there and shoot it that way, just because of the extra weight off my back!

and lastly, if the cheapo 28-80 can last me through the trip i'd much rather bring that, just because petty theft are rampant in some places i go to..!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back