Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS mark II

Southtown57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just noticed that Adorama has the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM for $1974. Do you think this will be the best price for this lens? As in does Canon drop the price in the summer time at all or is usually right around Christmas the cheapest you can get lenses?

Thanks and happy holidays.

Pro gear is usually the same price regardless of the season. Prices will vary a bit depending on the retailer, but I don't think you will be able to find that lens new much cheaper than the median price. Camera retailers usually have big sales after Christmas so you can wait until then and see what happens. The prices will also usually go down before the company releases a refreshment model, but that's not happening for a long time with the lens you mentioned. If you want the lens noticably cheaper, your best bet is to buy it used.

Prices RARELY drop on lenses. I'd be all over that if I had the $ to do it!!!

Even used these kind of lenses still keep a high price. You can save a bit, but you will have the downside of no warranty to cover the lens, though of course one would hope that a second hand lens shouldn't have any manufacture defects and, of course, you can always have insurance cover.

Here is a good site to track Canon prices:
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II Price Watch and Comparison
I
bought my 70-200L IS II just before Christmas from Adorama and it has already gone up around $90.00. You can also see the price history of the lens at the bottom of the page of the link. The current $300.00 rebate is going away soon. I think it was Jan 7, but I think I saw somewhere where it has been extended a month or so.

Most reactions

Back