HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Im in the market for one of the above lenses. Thing is. Ive read a number of reveiws how the IS version isnt as sharp as the non IS version.

Im not sure how much i'll use the IS features of the IS version and wonder if I should just get the non IS? Also the sharpness factor I hear about concerns me although alot of people rave how sharp the IS version is.

I am prepared to spring the extra cash for the IS version but id favour the non IS if it was a sharper rather then haveing the IS feature i think.

Anyone had hands on experience with these lenses?

I have the 70-200 f/4 L, and it is a super sharp lens. I've seen enough sample images from the 2.8 IS to know that it's also a very sharp lens, and you WILL use the IS, I'm sure. Handholding a 200mm lens is not easy. Even in bright daylight, if you want to shoot at ISO 100, and shoot at anything other than wide open, you'll use it.

I find myself wishing I had IS about 90% of the time.

Digital Matt said:
I have the 70-200 f/4 L, and it is a super sharp lens. I've seen enough sample images from the 2.8 IS to know that it's also a very sharp lens, and you WILL use the IS, I'm sure. Handholding a 200mm lens is not easy. Even in bright daylight, if you want to shoot at ISO 100, and shoot at anything other than wide open, you'll use it.

I find myself wishing I had IS about 90% of the time.

Thanks very much for the advice Matt!!

I trust your word through your experience ive seen here.

Think im gunna get the IS!!

Enjoy :) You'll love that lens.

You might also want to invest in the 1.4x TC. It will turn your lens into a 98-280 f/4, and you'll still retain IS. I use the 1.4x TC with my f/4 L, and while you do lose a tiny bit of sharpness, and 1 stop of light, it is very sharp, and gives you that extra reach without buying a 300mm lens.

They are both great, but you will sacrifice more with the 2x converter. You lose 2 stops of light, making your lens an f/5.6, and you will lose more sharpness. In most cases, it is better to buy the equivalent prime lens, for example, buy a 400mm prime, versus a 70-200 with a 2x TC. The exception is when you have a 400 prime, or 500 or 600mm prime, and you put a 2x TC on it. Yes, you lose some quality, but how else are you going to get those focal lengths, not to mention afford them! A 600mm f/4 is over $7500 :p

If I were you, I'd start with the 1.4x TC, since it's not THAT expensive, and if you feel you need more focal length, then start saving for a big prime.

That lens is awesome! Right now, its my absolute favorite lens!!

Here are a couple totally candid, almost "snapshot-ish" pics I took with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS over the weekend.

IMG_6170copy.jpg

IMG_6253.jpg

If you want, you can see the rest at http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/ReverendAlfie/Joel July BBQ/

I say if you can afford it, go for it! You won't be disappointed.

Thanks again Matt.. I dont know how i'd go with a big telephoto prime. I like the freedom of being able to zoom, especially with long telephoto lenses. Smaller primes like the 50mm are ok for me.

I'll get the 1.4x TC as im using it on a 20D which would give it 400mm at the long end.

using a 1.4x teleconverter reduces the amount of light by 1 stop, so an f4 lens will become an f5.6

the 2x TC reduces light by 2 stops, so the f4 would become an f8.

There are a few of use there that have the 70-200 f2.8 IS myself include, everyone seem very happy with it the image quality, as for the IS option I was very high on if at first but have stop using it as mush with sport shooting, because with high shutter speeds it is not need at all, IMO IS only help with slow shutter speeds

Most reactions

New Topics

Back