Canon EF 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 L IS USM

warriorpluto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Im just starting out with photography and I just bought a canon lense off ebay.Canon EF 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 L IS USM Lens with a uv filter. This lens color is black. Whats the difference between this lens and the white version that goes for over 1k? Here is the item ID of lense I bought. Or is it a fake? 271426387889

The title of that auction suggests that this was an "L" lens, but the lens you bought isn't the "L" version. Canon makes both a non-L and an L version of the 70-300 - the "L" version is heavier, with better build quality. It's got lens elements that supposedly have greater resistance to CA, and it's got four-stop IS (vs. 3-stop in yours). As near as I can tell, though, you paid a fair price for the lens you bought. I can't tell for sure if it's a fake, but I can't see anything that would indicate that. This is a solid, mid-entry-level Canon lens, and it should serve you well for quite a while.

I was doing some research and since it's not an L like I thought it was I'm going to have to get a refund. The description specifically stated it was an L. Glad I came here to ask. Thanks for the information. What other lens do you recommend? I'm going to be shooting models on an outside setting.

Honestly, I think I'd have been way more worried about it being a fake if I'd just bought a 70-300 L for $350.

I'd suggest maybe starting a new thread for "what lens do I need" -- include as much information about what you're trying to accomplish as you can, plus the camera body you intend to use, your level of experience, and budget.

Off-hand, though, 300mm is really pretty long for any sort of portrait. I'd think that one of Canon's 70-200 variants might work better for you, but there are some great prime lenses worth looking at, too, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

It is not L lens so the lens description is wrong. And $350 is a fair price for that lens if it is in good working condition.

Some of the Canon refurbished lenses (with 1 Year Refurbished Camera Limited Warranty) are on sale now at their Canon USA site.

Canon Refurbished Lenses | Canon Online Store

The same lens listed there is around $420

Oh ok thanks for the information guys. Oh and yea I thought maybe no one was going to bid and I got lucky on a lens that costs over 1k. ;) I mean I got really lucky plenty of times on eBay. Oh well. Feels good to be learning from the best though.

Most reactions

Back