Canon EF 75mm-300mm Vs Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II Lens

Photos4Fun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,

This is my first post at TPF! Anyway, I recently purchased a Canon T3i Camera which came bundled with a 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens. I found a deal today for the 75mm-300mm telephoto lens for $100 brand new. My question, is whether I should purchase the 75-300mm lens or if there is too much redundancy between it and the 55-250mm lens making the purchase unnecessary? I do want a telephoto lens, but I do not want 2 lenses that serve the same function. Looking for any help from those who are experienced with both lenses. Thanks!

Photos4Fun said:
Hello All,

This is my first post at TPF! Anyway, I recently purchased a Canon T3i Camera which came bundled with a 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens. I found a deal today for the 75mm-300mm telephoto lens for $100 brand new. My question, is whether I should purchase the 75-300mm lens or if there is too much redundancy between it and the 55-250mm lens making the purchase unnecessary? I do want a telephoto lens, but I do not want 2 lenses that serve the same function. Looking for any help from those who are experienced with both lenses. Thanks!

Not worth it. I'm pretty sure the 55-200 is better anyway. You should focus more on replacing your 18-55 or getting some primes.

-Ken Turner

Best cheap tele lens is the 70-200mm F4 L.

Thank you for the replys.

Best cheap tele lens is the 70-200mm F4 L.

While that lens may be cheap as far as lenses are concerned, it's still way too expensive for someone like myself who has barely started.

I don't think the 75-300 would be worth it. You're getting another 50mm, but giving up IS. I say stick with the 55-250mm IS lens, and just crop your pics a little.

Are we talking about two EF-S lenses or is the 75-300 an EF lens? As a general rule, aren't the EF lenses better than the EF-S ones?

Are we talking about two EF-S lenses or is the 75-300 an EF lens? As a general rule, aren't the EF lenses better than the EF-S ones?

I think we're talking about the 75-300 EF lens. A lot of people don't like the 75-300 lens, even though it is an EF lens. Since I don't own a zoom telephoto lens, I would have probably picked up the 75-300 since it's on sale right now, but I need a tripod with macro capabilities more than a zoom telephoto.

Keep your 55-250mm unless you like to downgrade your telephoto zoom lens.

I just stumbled across this forum while searching for something online. I saw this question about the EF 75-300 vs. EFS 55-250 and thought I'd chime in with my own experience. I had an EF 75-300 and in most situations it's a good lens. HOWEVER, when you zoom out beyond about 200 or 250 mm with the aperture nearly wide open it goes to hell (for the longest time I couldn't figure out why some of my photos were bad, then I put 2 and 2 together and figured out I was consistently getting bad images under these conditions). Someone else suggested that I consider the EFS 55-250 (since an upgrade to an L lens isn't in my budget yet) so I found a used one and I've been more than happy with it. So yes, everyone who has said to stick with the 55-250 knows what they're talking about.

This answered my unasked question. Was also thinking of buying the 75mm-300mm just because it falls in my price range and I need something versatile for travelling purposes.

I happen to have both (because I got the 75-300 for 50$ brand new so why not?) and I never use the 75-300 (which is probably a good reason for why not)
just keep the 55-250 and buy a prime lens or two.

Thank you again for your replys! I ended up keeping the EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II Lens and also buying the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. So now I have those 2 lenses plus the 18-55mm kit lens. So that is my starter set of lenses for now. Next, is to find out what type of situation calls for which type of lens.

Portraits 50mm
18-55 or 50 for walking around
55-250 for anything far away.

Thats the best advice I can give you with your current set up. Other then that its just practice and seeing what works for you.

Most reactions

Back