Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II

STR8SHOOTR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Photo lovers,
I might be purchasing the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II. I wanted your input on that lense or should I buy the Sigma 85mm 1.4 ART or another alternative?

I have the Canon 28-135 macro kit lense that came with the 7d. The Canon 16-35 f2.8 II and the canon 70-200 f4.

I want a good portrait lense. What do you think?

Last edited:
Sorry everyone. I just did a search and found a bunch of discussions on the Canon 85mm 1.2. I know how some can't stand repetitive questions.

My buddy has an 85 1.4 Art. I can't see why any larger aperture would be necessary and it focuses fast, so it's all down to how the photos look to you.

I'd suggest looking at a Flickr group of each lens, see is there a look you prefer

FWIW, I have the 85 1.8, and it's the sharpest tool in the shed. You can even upgrade to that fancy new iPhone X with all the money you'll save.

Yeah...a Canon 85/1.8 EF would likely be plenty good for most people. I owned that lens for years...found it to be good!

I didn't immediately see that you have a 7D. I also have a 7D. I picked up the 50 1.2 used a few years back, and it's also amazing. My favorite lens, actually. The 85 is a bit tight on the crop sensor for indoor use, and the 50 fills the gap between my 16-35 and 70-200. It generally lives on my camera.

I didn't immediately see that you have a 7D. I also have a 7D. I picked up the 50 1.2 used a few years back, and it's also amazing. My favorite lens, actually. The 85 is a bit tight on the crop sensor for indoor use, and the 50 fills the gap between my 16-35 and 70-200. It generally lives on my camera.

I can only agree to this notion. I sometimes find even my 58mm to long for portraits on the crop sensor. Outdoors my 85 is great on the crop sensor, but indoors it can be tight even on a full frame body. A good 50mm, new or used is the better idea!

Hey Photo lovers,
I might be purchasing the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II. I wanted your input on that lense or should I buy the Sigma 85mm 1.4 ART or another alternative?

I have the Canon 28-135 macro kit lense that came with the 7d. The Canon 16-35 f2.8 II and the canon 70-200 f4.

I want a good portrait lense. What do you think?
I was helping a lady with her use on a Nikon camera and it had this lens on it. It was way off in terms of the accuracy of the focus point. If the focus square was dead center it was sharp two clicks to the left. Now her camera had the ability to calibrate it. She called me a couple of weeks later and followed the procedure exactly and it straightened out the spot but now it focused in the back. She was totally frustrated and sent it back to B & H. She ended up getting the afs 85mm 1.8 Nikon last week and everything is groovy now.

I can only agree to this notion. I sometimes find even my 58mm to long for portraits on the crop sensor. Outdoors my 85 is great on the crop sensor, but indoors it can be tight even on a full frame body. A good 50mm, new or used is the better idea!
I was thinking that way also. Thanks guys

Going to take a look at the 50's too

I did pick up the 50 1.2 and love it. What a great lense. My next lense is a nice macro but unfortunately I don't have the extra de niro right now.

I have the 85 f 1.8. I cannot imagine that the extra grand for the f 1.2 is worth the marginal difference but maybe someone here can make that case.

With these fast lenses, Autofocus Microadjustment appears to be very important.

Given you are crop sensor maybe a 50 mm would be better?

I have the 85 f 1.8. I cannot imagine that the extra grand for the f 1.2 is worth the marginal difference but maybe someone here can make that case.

One extra stop = $1000 that is the question I ponder with every new lense purchase. If you have the money and it's not an issue I would suggest breaking down and making the leap. It could never hurt having a faster lense. But that is the decision of the purchaser.

One extra stop = $1000 that is the question I ponder with every new lense purchase. If you have the money and it's not an issue I would suggest breaking down and making the leap. It could never hurt having a faster lense. But that is the decision of the purchaser.

yes, sometimes that extra stop can be expensive

Most reactions

Back