canon EF-S 55-250 f 4.0-5.6 IS II motion blur 'effect' advice

pratikmk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello experts,
I am a new member to this forum- and possess a canon T2i and canon EF-S 55-250 f 4.0-5.6 IS II telephoto lens since November 2011.

Recently, while watching a soccer game I captured some images which showed a peculiar motion blur effect which,I noticed, became more prominent as I zoomed in further into the subject(larger the focal length, greater the blur).
I tried capturing images of stationary objects to confirm my observations and I continue to see the 'blur' in some parts of the images.
The lens glass doesn't show any kind of damage and I take the right measures to keep it clean.

Any thoughts/advice on this would be of great help.

Thanks.

Do you have examples to post and what were your settings for shooting?

Sample shots would help everyone know what is goin on.

In the mean time try turning the IS off and take some shots with a faster shutter speed like 1/640th or faster.

Use a tripod and see what results you get also.

Motion blur from camera shake is much more likely to occur at a longer focal length. Also depth of field will decrease with a longer focal length, with more likelihood of missing focus. As already stated, examples and settings would help pinpoint the cause.

$sample-1.jpg$sample-2.jpg$sample-4.jpg

I have attached a few examples:
sample-1- captured in landscape mode at a focal length of 220mm
sample 2- captured in landscape mode at a focal length of 109mm
sample 4- captured in manual 1/50 sec shutter speed,f/7.1 and focal length of 135mm

I experimented with several settings, but continued to see the same effect on all images.

im guessing to slow of a shutter speed...what made you choose landscape mode over sport mode?

As a general rule to prevent motion blur from camera shake at long focal lengths, try to keep the denominator of your shutter speed at or above the focal length of the lens. As in if the lens is set to 100mm, use a shutter speed of at least 1/100. Faster would be better, especially when shooting a moving object.

Your shutter speed was much too slow. As previously mentioned above the focal length you are shooting at. Don't be afraid to bump the ISO up to get better shutter speeds.

I don't know guys. I looked at them pretty hard, and I don't thinks it's TOTALLY camera shake. I do agree, they need to use sports mode instead of landscape.

If you look at the right side/edges of the picture, they go way out of focus. The last shot, has them standing in line. They should be relatively equidistant from the camera @ 135mm but the right side just goes out of focus totally. Look up at the stands across the image.

I almost looks like an element has came out of it's track in the barrel or something like that. Certainly something that needs investigated.

This does not look like motion blur to me at all.

This looks like REALLY poor optics to me with a TON of coma, astigmatism, field curvature, etc.

Similar to the optical flaws that lensbaby builds into their lenses on purpose in order to create noticeably extreme blur at the edges but decent sharpness in the middle.

This is about the amount of field curvature and coma that I would expect if I were to take the front optics out of an old pair of binoculars and stick them in a paper towel tube in front of my camera. For an EF-S 55-250, this is unacceptable and definitely not intentional or expected behavior. Basically, your lens is significantly broken or defective.

If you would like to convince yourself that this is what is going on (I am 99.5% sure myself), do the following:
1) Set your lens to its maximum aperture.
2) Set it to about 100mm.
3) Put it on a tripod on on a kitchen table or something very stable.
4) Take a photo of a scene that has a lot of detail from corner to corner, like a cluttered room, or some trees. Make sure it's well lit, so that you get 1/500th of a second or so and can completely rule out motion blur.

If I'm right, then what you should see is a circular pattern of sharp in the middle, and then extremely blurry, getting blurrier toward the far edges in sort of a "starburst" way, where stuff gets stretched out near the corners, even though it was sitting rock solid still and took an extremely fast picture. When you stop down to about f/16, the effect should almost completely go away.

Last edited:
Your shutter speed was much too slow. As previously mentioned above the focal length you are shooting at. Don't be afraid to bump the ISO up to get better shutter speeds.

1/320, @ f6.3 at ISO 1600 and 220mm....... really? Did you even look?

Come on guys if you are going to try and help and least look at it with some thought, False and wrong information doesn't help.

It does look like the Lens Baby effect. I would have it looked at. Doesn't seem like just a slow shutter speed to me either because the center object is in focus.

This is NOT motion blur. Period. The center of the image is "poor", and the entire peripheral zone on every frame is "unacceptable". It looks like the lens has suffered a malfunction, some form of damage. I am wondering if the IS system might be damaged, and it is oscillating the IS element(s), and causing the horrible edge performance. Or if maybe an element has become decentered, perhaps from an accidental impact the lens suffered.

Not sure if the IS system was engaged when these three pictures were taken or not, but the lens is messed up.

Just want to make sure, do you have any screw-on type optics mount at the front of your telephoto zoom lens?

Most reactions

Back