Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Milhouse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for a telephoto lens and wondered if anyone knows whats going on with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. It was supposed to be released in October but I can't find it anywhere.

I just looked it up and it's only in Europe, (on Europe website, not Canadian or U.S.) The closest thing to this lens in the U.S. and Canada would be the Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM. Consider the [FONT=arial,geneva,helvetica][SIZE=-1] Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. A budget will also help.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I guess they figured everyone was buying the 70-300 lenses anyway. On a crop sensor, the 1.6 crop factor is actually a benefit for telephoto work. That lens will "take away" some of the zoom on a crop sensor.

Originally i was looking at the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM. After some consideration I thought that at my at my caliber (noob) I would benefit more from the IS than the better glass. Besides I would be able to get the lens, a couple of filters and a decent tripod for the same price (all things that I need). My budget was 500-600 (originally). Now that I see the 55-250 at around 370cdn I find it appealing.

Most reactions

Back