Canon Eos 20D or 30D

little_luke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey, i'm 17 and very interested in photography, I ve been taking pictures on my dads Casio Exilim EX-S770 for a while. Its a small cute camera but i would like to take really top quality photos on a Digital SLR.

I have a relativly small budget and interested in the Canon EOS 20D or the 30D. The 20D would leave me more room for a extra accessories if needed but would like your opinion on the better one.

Or should save up and wait till christmas for the Canon EOS 40D????

Any other info would be most appreciated!

Also as i'm in the UK what wold be the best place for me to go, eBay is relativly cheap but could be dodgy?

Thanks
Luke

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Canon 40D :D...well, actually there is no such thing yet, but I do have two 20Ds. It's a great camera. The 30D is basically the same camera with a few upgrades. Most notably, the LCD screen is bigger and it has a sport metering option.

If you can get a 20D for a good deal less than a 30D, the the savings would probably be worth it. If the price is close, I'd get the 30D; for the bigger screen and spot meter...but also because it's probably a newer camera with less wear and tear on it.

Have you considered the Rebel XT or XTi? (Sorry, that's 350D and 400D in Euro speak). They are a step down from the 20D/30D in terms of the camera body...but the image quality is pretty darn close. The Rebel bodies are smaller and lighter (more plastic)...which could be good for you or not-so-good...many find them too small (but you can add the batter grip to make it bigger). The biggest difference is the ergonomics, the layout of the controls. I much, much prefer the 20D/30D controls. The thumb wheel is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

E-bay can actually be a fairly safe way to buy things...E-bay/paypal do offer some protection against getting scammed...and be sure to buy from someone with plenty of good feed back. I bought my 2nd 20D from E-bay and got a great deal on it.

400d , awesome dslr, and youll have some extra money to get some good glass

If your looking to purchase accessories as well as the DSLR, you should go with the Canon 20D. The differences between those two cameras are to minimal to spend the extra money on.

Since you're pretty much just starting out i'd go along with what they guys have said before - buy a camera that won't break the bank nor is it cutting edge. But you'll have more spare cash for accessories or better quality lenses.

I'd suggest going for the 20D or if you want even more accessories, the 300D or 400D. Image quality will be the same on all 3 except for the resolution being different. But remember going from 8mp to 10mp isn't a big jump at all. Compare the horizontal and vertical dimensions and you'll see what i mean.

Higher quality lenses will be part of a kit so you can change/upgrade/add another body in time and the lenses will be compatible. Good glass has a massive impact on photographs you take - probably more so than an extra 2mp.

Slightly older camera and better quality accessories is that way i'd go.

The 350d and 20d have the same sensor so save some money for the glass and get the 350d!! Then when you get really good and want to go career you can buy a whatever D and use the 350d as a back up, perfect!!

Like everyone else, I suggest the 350D. The "Digital Rebels" - 300D, then 350D, and now the 400D - are Canon's entry level dSLRs, but they are quite good. Spend money on lenses and other stuff, not the body of the camera at this point. Technology is changing, but the sensor (the only thing that matters) is quite good in the 350D (or the 400D.) Lenses last forever if you treat them with a modicum of gentleness, spend your money on those instead.

Oh, and don't fall prey to marketing BS - megapixels alone do not make a difference. 8MP vs 10MP is no big difference.

Cheers guys great help!!!!

350d and 400d have a few more differences then just the 2 megapixel increase ...like the self cleaning sensor...9 focus points...brighter lcd..blah blah blah..if you go for the rebel series..and you have the money..pay up for the xti

The 400D is an exceptional piece of kit. It is not built to the standards of the "Pro Spec" Models, but as long as you don't intend throwing it too often ... the spec is awsome.... as are the results and the ease of use.. Use the extra pennies to get a 580 strobe,an off camera flash lead and some good glass. You'll never look back. And in the mean time if you really want the badge of a pro spec . you will be able to capture some top quality images while you save your £4000.00p or so...

Most reactions

Back