Canon EOS 20D?

styrofoamclouds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I am extremely new to all of this. I do not even have a camera yet, but I have been looking at the Canon EOS 20D alot lately, and I want to know what you all think of the camera. I know that there is an upgraded version (the 30D), but I have been looking at the prices, and it's way too expensive.

Also, since I am new, do you think that the 20D is too advanced for me?

Should I start with a more beginner camera, or is the 20D a good camera for me to begin with?

Please reply, it is greatly appreciated! :D

p.s. I was looking at the 20D on B&H and there is a used one for $799, and it is apparently in tip-top condition. Is that a good deal?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ku=800500967&is=USE&addedTroughType=buyItUsed

Thaanksss again :)

Welcome to the forum.

The 20D is a great camera...I have two. It is more advanced than the entry level models...but there is nothing wrong with the Rebel XT or Xti. The biggest difference is in the build of the body and the layout of the controls. If you can, I suggest going into a store and holding the different cameras to see which one fits your hands the best.

The Rebel XT is smaller and lighter and has also been recently replaced in Canon's line up...so you would probably be able to find a great deal on it.

It would be worth your while to think about saving money on the camera...and spending more on a lens. Don't forget that you need a memory card as well.

Yeah, so when I get an EF Lens for one of them, which kind do you think I'd need the most.

I know there are different kinds, such as the Ultra-Wide Zoom, Standard, Wide Angle, Etc..

I dont know which kind I would use the most.

You have to take note of the terms and the focal lengths. What is ultra-wide on a 35mm SLR camera...is only moderately wide on the DSLR cameras that we are talking about. What is typically a standard zoom...will be a little on the telephoto side (long) when used on a DSLR.

Well if you don't know...then it's probably best to get a standard range zoom lens. The lens that usually comes with those cameras is the EF-S 18-55...it's often called 'the kit lens'. 18-55 is pretty 'standard' on these cameras. It's not a great lens...but it's a pretty good value when you get it with the camera. (I think it's only $100 extra to get the lens with the camera). The biggest problem with this lens is it's cheap built quality...it feels like a toy....but it's nice a light.

You might want to consider a prime lens (non zoom). Prime lenses are good for image quality and a large maximum aperture. The 50mm F1.8 is a pretty good lens for a great price. Or you could look at something like the Sigma 50mm F1.4

Okay, so would it be a good idea just to buy the camera body and then buy the lens seperately, instead of just buying the kit that comes with the lens and all that stuff?

If you're just starting out i'd suggest getting the kit lens with the camera.
I know it's not the best but it's not exactly rubbish. It's cheap, decent and will get you started.
It'll also help you decide what type of lens to get next. if you find you're too far away from shooting birds or nature then you know you'll want a long zoom. But if you can't get decent shots of flowers and butterflies you'll be looking at a macro or maybe even a prime.

I had a Canon 20D and took some great shots with the kit lens so while it's cheap and cheerful it'll still produce good results if properly used.

sanfrannight.jpg

i took the above shot with a Canon Digital Rebel and kit lens. The exact same kit lens is shipped with both cameras. The above image was sold to a calendar publisher in Germany so great results are possible!!
:thumbup:

Thanks Darich :)

Ugh, I cant decide between the Digital Rebel XT, or the Nikon D70!

I want them all! Hah

Canon's kit lens has a bad reputation. It's ok to start and the cheapest option. Anyhow, if you are buying a DSLR I assume you are "serious" about photography. If you can afford it, get a better lens. You will get much more (better photos) out of your camera.

The 50mm 1.8 is 100$, cheaply built, great optics, no zoom.

Also check theEF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Feel free to check my blog. I published two articles on camera and lens selection.
http://tr-photo-blog.blogspot.com

The 50mm 1.8 is 100$

$70 at B & H.

EDIT: And as far as cheaply built goes, it sure is plasticky, but I dropped mine hard on a concrete floor from shoulder height. It bounced twice, but other than a slight scuff, no damage. I was impressed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back