Canon EOS 3 Question

mr.mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,
Just purchased a Canon EOS 3 35mm slr. Everything appears to function as it should with the exception of the autofocus eye controlled feature. Seems this function is unable to be correctly calibrated. The control button does not work. Anybody familiar with this issue? Wondering if it's worth investing money on finding out? The overall condition seems to be excellent. Paid $80.00 for it. I've read only good things about this particular model, and looking forward to making good use of it. Looking forward to your responses.
Mike

Hello all,
Just purchased a Canon EOS 3 35mm slr. Everything appears to function as it should with the exception of the autofocus eye controlled feature. Seems this function is unable to be correctly calibrated. The control button does not work. Anybody familiar with this issue? Wondering if it's worth investing money on finding out? The overall condition seems to be excellent. Paid $80.00 for it. I've read only good things about this particular model, and looking forward to making good use of it. Looking forward to your responses.
Mike
Could you elaborate a little further? I'm not quite sure to what you're referring here...

Hello all,
Mike

Hi,
Not 100% sure myself. Need to play with it a bit more. That said, the EOS 3, EOS 5 and the EOS 50e (A2e) have a auto eye control focus feature. The camera will automatically focus on the particular subject you're shooting. This is accomplished by the movement of your eye. I'm not an expert, but that's the gist of it.

That looks like a really cool camera; I'd never heard of that feature before. Unfortunately, if the control dial isn't working, I'd say you're out of luck as far as calibration goes. It could be something that's easily repaired at a local repair shop if there's one in your area, but that might not be cheap...

That looks like a really cool camera; I'd never heard of that feature before. Unfortunately, if the control dial isn't working, I'd say you're out of luck as far as calibration goes. It could be something that's easily repaired at a local repair shop if there's one in your area, but that might not be cheap...

They are very interesting cameras, and have a good many features. They fall between the advanced consumer and pro. But from what I'm learning, it's more a pro camera than consumer type. Much to learn, and I'll be doing a bit of reading myself.
Mike

From the manual:
eos3_zpsj4bz1aqd.jpg

From the manual:
eos3_zpsj4bz1aqd.jpg
Thank you for the information. I have a local Canon repair facility nearby, I'm going to take this camera in to see how costly the repair will be.

Hello all,
Mike

Hi,
Not 100% sure myself. Need to play with it a bit more. That said, the EOS 3, EOS 5 and the EOS 50e (A2e) have a auto eye control focus feature. The camera will automatically focus on the particular subject you're shooting. This is accomplished by the movement of your eye. I'm not an expert, but that's the gist of it.
I had an eos5 and calibrated eye detection but i'm sure it only moves the focus point and does not focus for you, you still have to focus by half pressing

Just curious, does this feature actually work? I remember when it was first announced and thought it was the future, but it only made it into a handful of models.

Just curious, does this feature actually work? I remember when it was first announced and thought it was the future, but it only made it into a handful of models.
I have both the EOS 5 and EOS 50 and the eye controlled focussing works well on both. The EOS 5 also has eye controlled DOF preview as well. No need to half-press the shutter release, it should focus automatically.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

Hello all,
Mike

Hi,
I had an eos5 and calibrated eye detection but i'm sure it only moves the focus point and does not focus for you, you still have to focus by half pressing

Hi,
I have the EOS 5 as well, but I believe the EOS 3 works differently. The EOS 3 has 45 focus points, and they require calibration. I haven't had much time to play with this feature, but will let everyone know as soon as I have some time to study it. The EOS 3 has a calibration switch that allows you to activate the eye control system, and set various focal points. Now according to some things I've been reading, the camera follows the movement of your eye to attain focus on your specific subject. It differs from the EOS 5 and EOS 50E. The EOS 3 is a very advanced camera, but I'm not sure if all the features on the one I received are working properly. I'll report back as soon as I learn more.
Mike

Last edited:

If the camera is working properly, you can calibrate this feature and the camera will follow the movement of your eye to the exact area you wish to focus on.

Hi,
I have the EOS 5 as well, but I believe the EOS 3 works differently. The EOS 3 has 45 focus points, and they require calibration. I haven't had much time to play with this feature, but will let everyone know as soon as I have some time to study it. The EOS 3 has a calibration switch that allows you to activate the eye control system, and set various focal points. Now according to some things I've been reading, the camera follows the movement of your eye to attain focus on your specific subject. It differs from the EOS 5 and EOS 50E. The EOS 3 is a very advanced camera, but I'm not sure if all the features on the one I received are working properly. I'll report back as soon as I learn more.
Mike
EOS 5 and EOS 50 both need calibrating for each focus point as well - the calibration switch is a software switch - and the camera follows eye movements the same as the EOS 3

Hi,
Mike
EOS 5 and EOS 50 both need calibrating for each focus point as well - the calibration switch is a software switch - and the camera follows eye movements the same as the EOS 3

Thank you for that information. Still have much to learn.

Most reactions

Back