Canon EOS 40D ignores my EV settings?

MDesigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I must be doing something wrong here.. I have my 40D set to Av, and I hit the top button for EV adjustment..and crank it up to +2. Yet when I half-press the shutter to go back into shooting mode, the EV shows as 0. Strangely, if I go back to EV adjust mode, it still shows +2. I don't get it.. what am I missing?

Nope. Just like any of the other settings (WB, ISO, etc), you just start shooting.

Well, I'm saying the OTHER options work that way.. maybe EV is different somehow? Was hoping some other 40D owners could chime in and verify I'm not crazy..

I haven't played with the flash compensation but from what I'm understanding the top button "ISO-+/-" button is for flash compensation. For exposure compensation, while in any mode other than manual, press the shutter button half way then turn the big dial in the back to set exposure compensation. This will stay the same even after you turn it off.

By 'EV' are you talking about 'Exposure Compensation'?

On my 20D, I press the 'set' button to change the EC. One of the top buttons allows me to change the FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation)...maybe that's what you are doing?

Double check your manual.

sounds like something is wrong to me;
First make sure you are in Av mode (or tv mode).
then hold down the av+- button on the back of the camera
whilst holding this down push the settings wheel left or right to change the value - once you reach the setting you want release the av+-button and the setting should stay put.

There's no av+- button on the back of a 40D.

I just played with it a lil. By "EV" I'm assuming you mean exposure compensation and not flash compensation. Just press the shutter halfway and turn the big dial in the back to adjust "EV" exposure compensation. It'll stay at that setting until you change it or go into manual mode.

ahem - sorry I read 400 - I changed a D to a 0

Wooops.. yeah. The function that shares the ISO button is for flash compensation. Duh. ;) Thanks, guys

make sure your power switch is set all the way up or the big wheel in the back won't work at all. I like to set it and then switch the power back to the middle position so I don't accidentally move the wheel with my cheek or something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back