So, what's new?

Well:
- 15.1... like the 50D...
- HD recording - yes, it's catching on!
- 20,000 dot VGA monitor
- Digic IV (4) processor
- possibly more, not known yet

New:

Canon also released a new Speedlite with it...

Additionally to the 500D:
ISO sensitivity settings range from 100 to 3200 in normal mode with extensions to H1 at ISO 6400 and H2 at ISO 12800 available.
- photoreview.com

Apart from that:
- The price will most definitely be considerably higher, since the 500D has 15.1 mp and HD recording
- Face detection in live view
- Has Canon improved the maximum number of RAW bursts? Currently, on the 450D, it stands at 6.

It's gone for a more 'silver' look... the 450D had a silver hotshoe instead of the 400D's black... and now the dial is silver on the 500D!

EOS500D_back.jpg

EOS500D_top.jpg

Last edited:
Complete details

Image sensor: 22.3 x 14.9 mm CMOS sensor with 15.1 megapixels effective
A/D processing: 14-bit
Lens mount: Canon EF/EF-S
Focal length crop factor
: 1.6x
Image formats: Stills – JPEG, CR2.RAW; Movies - MOV (Video: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM)
Image Sizes: Stills - 4752 x 3168, 3456 x 2304, 2352 x 1568; Movies - HD: 1920 x 1080 (16:9), SD: 640 x 480 (4:3) both at 30 fps
Image Stabilisation: Lens-based
Dust removal: EOS Integrated Cleaning System
Shutter speed range: 1/4000 sec – 30, bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec.
Exposure Compensation: Manual, ±2EV in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
Exposure bracketing: AEB ±2EV in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
Self-timer
: 2 or 10 second delay
Focus system
: TTL autofocus with 9 AF points (manually selectable) plus 6-point Assist AF
Focus modes: One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, AI Focus AF, Manual focusing (MF)
Exposure metering: 35-segment metering; Evaluative, Partial, Spot, Centre-weighted
average
Shooting modes: 7 standard modes(including P, Av, Tv, A-DEP and M)
Picture Style/Control settings: Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1 - 3
Colour space options: Adobe RGB, sRGB
Custom functions: 13
ISO range: ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800)
White balance: Auto, Preset (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, White fluorescent light, Flash), Custom
Flash
: E-TTL II Autoflash, GN 13
Flash exposure adjustment: ±2EV in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
Sequence shooting: 3.4 frames/second (up to 60 JPEG images)
Storage Media: SD/SDHC cards
Viewfinder: 95% coverage, non-interchangeable focusing screen; -3 to +1 dpt adjustment
LCD monitor: 3.0-inch TFT LCD with 902,000 dots (VGA)
Live View modes: Quick, Live and Live face detection AF Modes
Video Capture: Yes
Data LCD: No
Playback functions: Single, Single + Info (Image-recording quality, shooting information, histogram), 4-image index, 9-image index, image rotate possible; Playback zoom: 1.5x to 10x; jump by 10 or 100 images, jump by screen, by shooting date, by folder, by movie, by stills; highlight alert; histogram; movie playback enabled (LCD monitor, video/audio OUT, HDMI OUT)
Interface terminals: Hi-Speed USB/ HDMI mini/ Audio/Video OUT/ PC Terminal/ Remote control/ External microphone input
Power supply: LP-E5 rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Dimensions (wxhxd): 128.8 x 97.5 x 61.9
Weight: 480 grams

Other websites state that the price will be $800 body and $900 kit. That's in USD.

So for people in Canada such as myself, that's:

884.00 and 1108.00 respectively.

I'm somewhat upset because I bought my 450D in August for 2008. Realistically since I'm new to Photography there isn't anything in the 500 that I need, but the HDMI connection would probably prove to be quite useful.

well i think i am going canon....:lmao: bye bye nikon i been waiting for some thing new from canon

As I have said in one of the other 500D threads -the 50D had a poor rating with its 15MP crop sensor - the push with noise (which in the end was only the same as for the smaller sensor 40D so no real gain in ISO usage) meant that one has to use the pro end glass only in order to preserve the details in shots - otherwise the cameras built in noise reduction kills your finer details (even if you shoot RAW).

For 500D is a level below so I am expecting poorer performance still - oh it might have the higher ISO options but that does not mean that they will be any good at all and its way to budget a camera to expect people to have to get pro glass to get the best out of it!

I am not that impressed on that front - however this should end the canon MP madness (they really can't go to 20MP in the lower or midrange crop sensor cameras) so hopefully they might turn their eye to thinks like lower noise levels, sharper images, wider dynamic range - WEATHERSEALING! (sorry just why are outdoor cameras still not rainproof - not asking for tropics level sealing just something to keep the rain out!)

I am glad to see video mode supported (even though the larger version is almost pointless - 20FPS is slower than the human eye sees - we clock in at around 24FPS - so its weak but seems to offer more than the Nikon equivalent). Anyway with video mode in this camera is supports the view that video is now a staple in the canon line of cameras (and yes some of us want it)

dang...still waiting for a full frame Digital with video... for cheaper. getting closer!

Wow I got all excited with the subject of this post. Why? There's a big difference between announced and released! I thought it had been released already. Ah well. But I did know that it is being released in May so... ;)

Most reactions

Back