Canon EOS 7D telephoto

SandyCB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to forum, so probably repeating question. Any recommendations on best-value telephoto for Canon EOS 7D wildlife stills. Price range is so wide that I'm nervous to buy at low end, but may be fine for me. I'm an advanced amateur who just wants the best to share with family and friends.

Flexibility: Sigma 150-500 ("the bigma")

Budget: 300mm f4L or 400mm f5.6L

You've got a lot of money to spend: 300mm F2.8L, 400mm f2.8L and a tripod or a good chiropractor and gym membership.

The 7D is so demanding of HQ glass that I wouldn't put anything less than L lenses on it with rare exception. The Sigma's questionable in that regard but pretty nice in terms of being flexible for a price.

Canon 100-400 IS L could be a good option.

The resolving power demands of the 7D and the 100-400 don't play as well together as one might like. It's good for flexibility and it's price point is nice, so an option, but not my first recommendation. Or my second or third.

I'd go with the 400mm f/5.6 Canon over the 100-400 zoom...the Canon 400/5.6 is significantly better optically. A really top-quality prime lens would be my choice over a zoom...you're in a tough spot though...lenses long enough for "wildlife" do not come cheap, and cheap lenses are just not that good...

I'm new to forum, so probably repeating question. Any recommendations on best-value telephoto for Canon EOS 7D wildlife stills. Price range is so wide that I'm nervous to buy at low end, but may be fine for me. I'm an advanced amateur who just wants the best to share with family and friends.

This means he probably would enjoy the flexibility of a zoom a little more than a 400mm prime... especially on a crop body, that really limits what you can take a photo of.

@the OP, what kind of wildlife are we talking here? Birds? Zoos? back yard critters? What kind of distance? I've taken some great shots with my 70-200mm. That might be enough, depending on what you're talking about.

Just because 18mp allows you to crop doesn't mean you have to.

Who said anything about cropping?

The problem with the 7D is that inferior lenses tend to make the image look quite stippled even if you don't crop. They also tend to look softer and CA and the ilk are more pronounced.

The problem with the 7D is that inferior lenses tend to make the image look quite stippled even if you don't crop. They also tend to look softer and CA and the ilk are more pronounced.

show me a web sized image where that is apparent?

quick flickr search shows these photos taken with the 7d and the 55-250mm canon lens (a very cheap medium telephoto)

not the most breath-taking photos, but definitely good enough for an "advanced amateur" to show friends and family. You can get this lens for under $200, and save up for a big boy lens.

show me a web sized image where that is apparent?

Chortle. Look a the top of the bird photo. Also many people like to print their photos (weird, weird I know... the horror).

I think OP may need to define his/her "Friends and Family" type quality because it varies from person to person.

I maybe OK with bigma but someone else maybe not especially in photography world. Of course, if I have a lot of cash and got approval from the boss in the house, my friends and family photo type equipments are going to be different.:lmao:

lol yes. My friends and family photos are definitely better than what would be considered good enough by most people. I guess if you're swinging a 7d, you can probably afford L glass to go with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back