Canon Eos Elan 7NE

New Hampshire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, Uncle Sam turned out to be very generous to me this year with the tax return check, so I am going to splurge a bit. I got a copy of the B+H Catalog in yesterday, and I tell ya, the one camera in there that just seems to jump out at me is the Canon Elan 7NE. I went and read some various sites for reviews, and it is looking to be a great camera. But one review has me now wondering if I should go with just the body and buy a different lens, or start with the kit lens (a 28-105 4.0-5.6). It seems this lens is considered less than great, and the suggestion is to go with the upgraded packge that contains the EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM. Any comments?

Basically I plan on relegating my Pentax K1000 to more static landscape photography, stoked with ISO 100 film (for when I have more time to nitpick through the viewfinder.) The Canon would be used with ISO 200 or 400 for "faster" photography as well as night and flash work.

Am I picking a winner?

Brian

Kit lenses are usually not all that great.. just something they throw in with the camera body. If you can spend the extra cash, go with the better lens depending on how much you can afford. My cousin loves the 28-135mm USM IS lens. You can go up to the 24-70mm f2.8 L or the 24-105 f4 L if you are willing to drop the cash.

That's a great camera. One thing to consider is whether you want the eye-control focus or not. About half the people love it and half the people never use it. I think you can save about $50 if you get the 7n rather than the 7ne.

That's a great camera. One thing to consider is whether you want the eye-control focus or not. About half the people love it and half the people never use it. I think you can save about $50 if you get the 7n rather than the 7ne.

Hmmm interesting. I guess I am willing to spend a little extra cash to see if I like this feature. At worst...I turn it off and never use it.

usayit, I think your right, better to spend a little ectra on the better lens right out of the gate. I found another site that runs down all the features of the 7NE and the regular kit lens vs the USM kit lens and the site HIGHLY suggests the USM. So thats what I am going to go with. 28-105 should make for a good general purpose lens untill I can start scraping cash together for a couple prime lenses (I am thinking probably a 28mm and 50mm) and maybe even a larger focal length zoom (like maybe up to the 300mm).

Brian

This camera ROCKS. I've had it for about a year now and I can't say enough good things about it. I also have a digital camera however I use this almost exclusively. I've seen it around in Fred Miranda and some other forums so it can be bought on the cheap. As for the lenses, you really have to consider how they'll be used. For the the night work you might want to consider something a bit faster. Will you be working with a flash? You might consider picking up a used 50mm 1.4 (I think). You can find them in a lot of the used listings on Adorama, B&H, KEH or Fred Miranda. And yes you are picking a winner.

Regarding lenses, it wouldn't take you that long to save up for a 50mm f/1.8. Some of Canon's primes are (relatively) very reasonably priced. I would definitely consider getting at least the 50mm. Also when you say a "larger focal length zoom" up to 300, hopefully you don't mean one that goes from say 28-300... because that is unlikely to be a great lens.

Will you be working with a flash?

I would think SOME flash work would be involved, but right now I am more interested in outdoor photography.

ZaphodB said:
Also when you say a "larger focal length zoom" up to 300, hopefully you don't mean one that goes from say 28-300... because that is unlikely to be a great lens.

Nope. Right now I would not even consider anything less than the 100-300 USM Zoom, but even at that I would like to see if I could find something from 200-300mm. I want this type of lens more for close-up work on wildlife (then again Im not sure if upwards of 300mm is overkill for that or not.)

Brian

I just bought one and it’s having problems after only 3 rolls of film.. That aside, it's very light and flimsy compared to my N80.. It is my first Canon body, though. I would upgrade to the 3.5-4.5 25-105. The 5.6 is SLOW. If you can afford it, the 24-105 f/4 is impressive. Sharpest and quietest lens I've ever had my hands on.

Most reactions

Back