canon eos rebel 2000: good choice?

45rpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this christmas i'm getting my first camera; and i've been leaning towards the canon eos rebel 2000. has anybody used this camera? it's price is not too expensive, and it seems to be held in high regards by those who have used it. i'm pretty new and fresh to photography, and i'm still learning a lot, but i'm working on it. basically i know i want a camera with a lot of creative versatility, definitely manual as well as automatic. it appears this camera has those things. this camera also comes with a 28mm-80mm zoom lense. i have heard that zoom lenses don't produce images as sharply as a non-zoom lense. is this true? i haven't really looked at too many other cameras, i don't know where to start. comments on my current choice would be appreciated, as well as any other recommendations you may have for me.

as for what i want to take pictures of, if that's still important, i just want to take pictures of whatever strikes me. i tend to like nature/animals, people, places; especially the urban atmosphere.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00001QEMF/103-1236872-5636655?v=glance]Canon EOS Rebel 2000 35mm SLR Camera Kit with 28-80mm Lens[/ame]

thank you for your time!

The Canon EOS Rebel cameras are great entry level SLR cameras. They will give you automatic modes as well as full manual control.

There are a few different "Rebel" models. I don't know the differences between them but they are all pretty similar and should suit your needs.

The lens that typically comes with the Rebel kit is not the best lens...that's true. It really depends on what you expect though. It will better than anything that is built into a cheap point & shoot camera. You can always get better lenses as you get more into photography.

My suggestion would be to get the kit and maybe another lens if you can. The 50mm F1.8 is the least expensive lens for Canon EOS cameras but it's also one of the most sharp. Plus the added speed (bigger maximum aperture) [F1.8] will be really nice when you are shooting in lower light situations.

That should be enough to get you started. You might also want to look into getting a tripod and possibly a flash. The built-in flash might be adequate but an accessory flash for the hot shoe would be much, much better if you plan on doing some flash photography.

Have fun.

i second what he said, i used to have a rebel gII and i loved it as a entry level camera, also, the 50mm your lookin at 70 bux for that lense new, not bad if you ask me.. Tripods, there are some out ther for like 40 bux which are good for entrylevel as well as pro if your camera isnt to heavy.. those are just some basics....

Big Mike said:
The Canon EOS Rebel cameras are great entry level SLR cameras.

My suggestion would be to get the kit and maybe another lens if you can. The 50mm F1.8 is the least expensive lens for Canon EOS cameras but it's also one of the most sharp. Plus the added speed (bigger maximum aperture) [F1.8] will be really nice when you are shooting in lower light situations.

That should be enough to get you started. You might also want to look into getting a tripod and possibly a flash. The built-in flash might be adequate but an accessory flash for the hot shoe would be much, much better if you plan on doing some flash photography.

I third all of the above.

thanks to those who took the time to reply; i got my rebel 2000 in the mail about 2 days ago, and everything looks good. now i just have to wait until christmas to start using it!

Don't wait...
Start shooting as soon as possible. Practice a lot and on Christmas you'll be familiarized with the camera when the need arises.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back