Canon EOS Rebel T2

TxFirefighter4305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Need some advice. Ive been interested in photgraphy for a while and until now have pretty much exclusively used a Canon 3.2 mp digital powershot. I decided to take a photgraphy class this semester and need a film camera. I want to stay with Canon if possible.

Im looking at a EOS Rebel t2 with a 28-90 lense offered together. Opinions, comments, suggestions, alternates are all welcome. I like the features, and overall appearance.

Does anyone have the vertical grip/battery pack? I cant find much info on it. would be nice to be able to use AA's. Can the grip be mounted to a tripod? How does it mount to the camera? etc.

Thanks Yall

Gabe

Welcome to the forum,

That should be a great camera for your photography class. Canon is a great brand and the EOS cameras are all pretty good. The best part is the compatibility with Canon's EF lenses, of which there are many. Not to mention the other brands of lenses that will fit that camera. Also, if you decide to get a digital SLR camera the lenses & accessories will also be compatible.

I don't know about the batter pack. It seems to me that you would be adding a lot of size & weight to a camera that was designed to be small & light. Unless you use the built-in flash very often, the standard battery should last for quite a while. Although, AA batteries are more convenient.

The battery packs usually attach to the bottom of the camera, I believe with the tripod mount...part of the battery pack extends up into the camera body where the regular battery would be. Yes, the battery grip will have it's own tripod screw hole.

As for other accessories, I always recommend the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 lens. It's a cheap lens but optically very good...And it has a wide maximum aperture (F1.8 ) which is a great tool to have. An accesory flash unit may also be a good idea.

Any of the canon EF compatible cameras should be fit your needs quite nicely. If autofocus is not a requirement, any of the manual canon's will also work quite nicely. The distinct advantage of the older manual canon's ( or any older manual camera system; Nikons too ) is the availability of excellent lenses for a fraction of the cost of newer equivalent EF lenses.

As for the battery pack, it looks very similar to the battery pack on my Elan IIe. It works very well and I definitely recommend it. It allows for the use of AA's and provides all the controls necessary for comfortable portrait shots. For me, I generally shoot a lot of portrait and it provided the comfort I like. Unlike the battery packs/grip on higher end models, the battery packs on the entry level cameras are significantly lighter ( 7.2 ounces vs 12.8 and 13.9 for the 10d and 1v respectively ). At least on the Elan IIe grip, it is very easy and quick to remove the grip from the body whenever you want to leave it behind. From the pictures, it looks like the battery pack for the rebels attach in the same manner. Basically, you open the batter door on the body. The battery grip has an "extension" that slides right into where the battey pack normally would be. The grip will screw right into the existing tripod hole under the camera body via a wheel that you turn with your thumb. Yes, there is a tripod screw hole on the bottom of the grip.

As already mentioned, I second the recommendation for the 50mm f1.8. The lens should be between 50-70 bucks and the quality very high ( lots of bang for the buck ).

Good luck and have fun during class.

Ordered and shipped today so should be here next wednesday :thumbup:. Will keep the 50mm in mind, ran out of money right now...lol I did get the battery pack/grip though.

Most reactions

Back