Canon exodus from film photography

Zeabned

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just read an online article (dated 05/25) reporting that Canon has "joined the exodus from film." It has announced that it is progressively getting out of the film camera market. It will still be selling its existing line of film cameras, but producing no new ones. In doing so, Canon is joining other camera manufacturers who have already moved out of film.

Well, as long as they continue to manufacture parts for my EOS Elan 7n, I'll do my best to protract the death throes indefinitely. That is, as long as there is print and slide film around somewhere.

I've been expecting such news; still it's sad that it's finally announced. :(

I'm actually surprised it's only just happened now; I thought they'd pulled out of film already. Nikon and Pentax have already done so, while Minolta have gone even further and dropped out of photography completely. While I agree that it's unfortunate that the main companies involved in 35mm won't be advancing that technology any further, it's also true that there are plenty of old cameras and accessories around that will continue to work for decades. On the other hand, that won't stop their prices from leaping as everyone becomes convinced the Nikon they're looking at on Ebay is the only one left on the planet... oh well...

2framesbelowzero said:
Don't believe the hype! They still manufacture the F6.

Ah yeah, sorry forgot about that. Still, they no longer manufacture cameras that mere mortals can afford or use :).

mysteryscribe said:
And if worse comes to worse we call all buy the russian knockoffs for years to come.

Very true. Just don't forget to wind the film, cock the shutter, load the breech, turn the monkey-gasket-handle and count to three before pressing the shutter, or it'll stop working forever. Will make a lovely doorstop though. :mrgreen:

Sad indeed. Dare I mention E-6 labs that have all but faded?

We speak of protecting film to the death and how film is what photography was. Consider that photography will forever be part science and technology and part Art. We are in a transitional period. The old techniques will never die and digi is only limited to our imaginations. Personally I believe that both worlds can coexist.

Ah yeah, sorry forgot about that. Still, they no longer manufacture cameras that mere mortals can afford or use
I know it's really a Cosina, but the FM10 is still around...and at the price of the FM3 I suspect there will be NOS for awhile.

LWW

2framesbelowzero said:
"Nikon’s new top-of-the-line professional camera, the F6, indicates the depth and breadth of our dedication to truly high-quality photography."

I like that.. "truly".. high-quality photography ;) :shaking:

Canon and Nikon are both big quantity market pleasing manufacturers, so it's inevitable that they will both move away from film, but that doesn't mean the death of film photography, there are still plenty of other manufacturers out there, they're just not the traditional big boys.

bigfatbadger said:
Canon and Nikon are both big quantity market pleasing manufacturers, so it's inevitable that they will both move away from film, but that doesn't mean the death of film photography, there are still plenty of other manufacturers out there, they're just not the traditional big boys.

I'm sure you're right, but I've only owned and shot Canon cameras. I'm not familiar with other brands and therefore have no reason to trust them or expect to be as comfortable with them as I've been with Canon. Perhaps a question of preference, but it can be a determining factor. I think film, unfortunately, is going to go the way of VHS VCRs, who will be replaced altogether, very soon, by DVD technology.

Zeabned said:
I'm sure you're right, but I've only owned and shot Canon cameras. I'm not familiar with other brands and therefore have no reason to trust them or expect to be as comfortable with them as I've been with Canon. Perhaps a question of preference, but it can be a determining factor. I think film, unfortunately, is going to go the way of VHS VCRs, who will be replaced altogether, very soon, by DVD technology.
I agree but that transition is not as hard because there is no real interaction with those as to cameras. I was inducted into photography with film and I have allot of love for it. I find it that for most "work" related photographs digi does its job to the max, but I still like the "mystery" of waiting to develop your film in order to see if your photos came out as you wanted, and the pround little moments when it actually comes out better than you expected...

I think the problem is not companies no longer making film cameras. With all of the name brands still productive and knockoffs available, film cameras will be around for my lifetime. You may not be able to get your "favorite" brand but somewhere cameras will be manufactured.

The place to keep watch on non-digital products is film, not the cameras. When companies begin to drop film, as some have already begun to do, then we are in trouble. But I do not think this will happen for some time. Watch film producers, not the camera people.

brassring said:
The place to keep watch on non-digital products is film, not the cameras. When companies begin to drop film, as some have already begun to do, then we are in trouble. But I do not think this will happen for some time. Watch film producers, not the camera people.

Unfortunately, I think this might happen faster than you think...

spiky_simon said:
Unfortunately, I think this might happen faster than you think...

Yes, watch the film producers: I have to agree with your qualms in this respect. Agfa is the first down; and I understand that Ilford's survival has been a near-run thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back