Canon "Fast 50" Advice.

Groupcaptainbonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
You will excuse me for "Gushing" a bit:hail:... But I have had my camera (A 400d / Rebel XTi) for about 9 months now, And I have fallen in love with it :lol:(Sad I know, but none the less true). The last time I got this excited about a lump of plastic, it was an X-700 in 1988.. And I spent nearly 20 years with a bunch of them....(one is Still lurking on my shelf for when I want to take IR ...):heart:
I have used top end Canon EOS (1s and 5s) from time to time and they are VERY good cameras.. But the 400D just "Does the Job" . There are "Auto/Custom" settings that are missing. But I learned my craft on a Zenith. So I understand the theory enough to move around the obsticles (Such as they are).
Now I would have though that in this day and age , with auto everything, and atomic most stuff, that a fast 50mm was just a memory. (Does anyone here fondly remember a zeiko 1.2 with an OM4TI... :lmao:Oh WOW!:lovey:). But with all the (Brilliant ) lenses that we have access to these days, I still want a "FAST 50" .
Now I THINK I have made my mind up on the Canon f1.4 50mm usm. I have read the whole bunch of published guff (Sorry Stuff). and this seems to be the one....

Any advice ....?
Thanks a lot folks....

P.S. My last post about a Slideshow software actually produced NO replies.... But I have to say that, although sadly lacking MOST of the options that I need. The "Windows movie maker has got me out of a nasty hole. And frankly for a basic program bundled with an operating system , does a quite creditable attempt.. Worth a play if you're bored one weekend...

The 50mm F1.4 is said to be a pretty good lens. The trouble is trying to decide if it's worth the price difference over the F1.8 version.

I used to love my 50mm on my film camera...but I found it a bit too long on my digital bodies. I now have the Sigma 30mm F1.4...and it's a fantastic lens. Great focal length, very good build quality, very fast...and the image quality is extremely good.

Cheers Mike.
In film days I had a 24mm that used to cut steel it was so sharp... I used it all the time (Still use it for IR shots on Kodak HSE). I have a 17 - 85 IS USM which covers the "Donkey work" and is a "belter". But the "Fast 50" was the one thing I am missing. I love Sigma (I have the 105mm EX DG Macro) and would definately consider that .
How does the image quality compare with the EF 50mm f1.4 ( I have to say the the main reason for wanting one is that I want a lens which will give the KILLER image quality. (The focal length is a (close ish) secondary consideration). The image quality is all. (Next to the bank balance ! ! !).

I don't have much to add about the fast 50 part of your post, but I noticed the bottom the Windows movie maker comment.

I actually had assignments in one of my computer classes where we had to develop movies with Windows movie maker. Its pretty easy to use I was surprised.

I have the f.18 version of the 'nifty fifty' and use it on a 300D, and it's a great lens. Got it off Ebay for just over 50 quid and it's great value for money! :mrgreen:

I'm comparatively new to photography, but this lens is from what I've seen very sharp, much sharper than my other lenses, but as you can see from my sig my other lenses are from the rather cheap end of the spectrum due to budget! :lmao:

How does the image quality compare with the EF 50mm f1.4
I haven't used the 50mm F1.4...but I've heard it's pretty good (but not fantastic). I have often heard the Sigma 30mm F1.4 compared to the Canon 35mm F1.4...which is said to one of the sharpest Canon lenses.

All I can say is that when I first opened the images I shot with the Sigma...I was blown away at the sharpness and resolution.

Well I love the 50mm f/1.8. After reading reviews on B&H, it appears most people don't think it's worth the extra money.

Also the sigma on a x1.6 crop camera is closer to 50mm angle of view (it's a 48 angle) whereas the 50 acts more like an 80mm. Just something to consider.

I'd personally get the sigma and maybe just to have a fast 50, also get the super cheap f/1,8 which , although cheaply made and has a crappy focus ring, is said to be sharper than the 50mm f/1.2 L at apertures of 2.8 and above for center frame sharpness, or on a x1.6 camera, the whole frame.

Most reactions

Back