Canon flash FP sync / high speed sync mode

Jackofknives

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tried to look for it on the internet, but didn't get any concrete answer.

Can you use Canon 600EX-RT or Canon 430EX II speedlite on a Canon 5D Mark II (on camera) in high speed sync mode, so that I can potentially shoot with a flash with higher shutter speed, like 1/2000?

I'm thinking about whether to purchase a 600EX-RT or a 430EX II.

I need it mostly for adding fill light in portrait during bright daylight. So wide open, shallow DOF during the day.

Thanks.

That's why that particular feature's there. In all flashes that support this function, the camera and flash work together to get the proper exposure. The flash modifies its firing pattern from a single pulse, to a rapid series of smaller pulses.

^^ This

Also keep in mind that since the flash cannot dump it's full power in just one burst it has to reserve enough to pulse as many times as necessary to cover the HSS shot. There is no free lunch in that regard.

This has come up before and that's why I usually mention that you can cluster flashes if necessary to overcome that issue. Clustering brings the power back up and also it means that each light can fire at significantly lower power level and that reduces recycling time so that you can shoot faster -- even if you need high-speed action photography with continuous burst.

Here's an example of it and if you watch his video, you'll see that he's clustering the speed lights to make this work: Canon DLC: Gallery: Action Photography with the Speedlite 600EX-RT Radio System

I see the 600EX-RT as a foundation to a better flash system since it can do either radio or optical triggering and I really like the radio system. I also looked at going with non-radio flashes but adding a PocketWizard Mini transmitter and some Flex transceivers for the flashes and the prices on those made the whole system more expensive, less versatile, and it takes more space in the bag than just having flash units with built-in radios. I started buying the 600's and never looked back. I had a 430EX II (donated to a family member) and a 580EX II (on "extended loan" to a good friend.) I just use the 600's these days (I also have the ST-E3-RT radio controller on the camera.)

Whether or not you're thinking about it now... you'll eventually want those speedlites off the camera hot-shoe for better lighting.

......... I see the 600EX-RT as a foundation to a better flash system since it can do either radio or optical triggering and I really like the radio system...........

Dude, at $500 a pop, they damn well BETTER be good LOL!! I'm just starting to play with my 430EX II. My plans are to invest in the 600's sometime next year if I can master this cheaper one.

Thanks for the replies. Can you guys confirm if the Canon Mark II enables such system? I heard that the 5D Mark II locks the shutter to below 250 if it detects a flash on the hotshoe. I'm pretty sure it's not true, but then again the camera is based on a 5 year old system, so I'd rather be sure before I invest in a 500$ flash.

To Tim Campbell, the long term plan is to invest in some Yongnuo slaves, but right now I'm just learning how to bounce the light etc outdoors. I've been thinking about getting a flash bracket, but bringing that for outdoor shooting seems a little excessive.

Thanks for the replies. Can you guys confirm if the Canon Mark II enables such system? I heard that the 5D Mark II locks the shutter to below 250 if it detects a flash on the hotshoe. I'm pretty sure it's not true, but then again the camera is based on a 5 year old system, so I'd rather be sure before I invest in a 500$ flash.

To Tim Campbell, the long term plan is to invest in some Yongnuo slaves, but right now I'm just learning how to bounce the light etc outdoors. I've been thinking about getting a flash bracket, but bringing that for outdoor shooting seems a little excessive.

The 5D II has a max flash sync speed of 1/200th ... UNLESS you have a flash that supports High Speed Sync *and* you enable that mode on the flash.

I happen to own a 5D II and the 600EX-RTs. If I set the camera to Tv mode and dial up the shutter speed to, say 1/800th, then turn on the flash and do a half-press on the shutter button, the camera immediately drops back to 1/200th. BUT... if I then activate the high-speeed sync mode on the 600EX-RT, the camera returns back to that 1/800th speed again.

Which flash you have will not matter with regard to shutter speed limits... 1/200th if not using HSS, but you get to go above it if you are using HSS.

There's obviously a lot of learning I have to do when it comes to getting the most out of my flash. TC all of your input is very helpful no matter what the topic is!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back