Canon Ftb: some general questions.

Marco120588

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
My dad gave me his canon ftb camera in which he bought around 1976. It is in excellent condition. I have some general questions. What are the advantages of having a mirror lock up and how do you use it? On the aperature ring, there is a little button. On my telephoto lens it says "0" and on my regular lens it says "A". What is that button for?

Thanks,
Marco

Mirror lock up is very useful for long exposures. When you snap a photo on an SLR, the mirror flaps up creating vibrations and slightly blurs a photo.

But if the mirror is locked up, then wont the film be exposed before I even take the picture because of the light passing through the lens?

The film isn't exposed until the curtain opens. If you open the back of your camera to load the film, you will see a fabric curtain. That is your shutter.

Thanks for the info. Another question: Should I also keep the mirror locked up when changing lenses, or would it not matter?

I would keep the mirror down when cleaning lenses. you don't want dust going behind the mirror.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back