Canon G12

shutterpaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum so I apologize if a similar question has already been asked. I'm looking for a new camera to backup my older and well-loved Canon DSLR. Many of the new compact models are impressive with the manual controls & capabilities of a DSLR...I'm looking specifically at the Canon G12. I like to photograph pets so I'm thinking the G12 might be perfect to take on the go and for everyday use. When working around animals, sometimes less equipment is often better! I also like to shoot landscapes in my spare time and some of the G12 reviews indicate it might fit the bill for that too. I like to shoot in RAW and I have heard other compacts like the Nikkon p7000 are painfully slow for that...what do you think? Will the G12 be a good choice? With the $499 price tag it almost seems too good to be true. Thanks very much.

I have a G11, which is almost the same camera, in fact worth getting to save a little if it is still available. Not as good as the SLR at high ISO due to the smaller sensor, but much better than you'd expect from a compact. I shoot most often at 400 with it and sometimes forget which camera I used for a particular shot and can't tell looking at a page size print - I have to look up the file info. It's also really good for macro shots, which you can actually manage with only a little camera support because of the IS.

Most reactions

Back